 Administrative / General / 11844
Re: Un-spotlight? (was: suspended Bricklink shops)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Tue, 31 Aug 2004 19:16:37 GMT

In lugnet.general, Ross Crawford wrote:
Which gets me thinking, why not also have a "un-spotlight" function? Not to
remove a spot light I've previously set (which I can already do), but to
subtract from the spotlights of others (subtract 100 or whatever from its points
value). So if I think a news item that has made the top stories isn't all that
newsworthy, I can vote to remove it.

The problem as others have pointed out is abuse.  But what if the "un-spotlight"
were merely advisory?  It wouldn't have any effect until an administrator
(curator perhaps) agrees.  Perhaps administrators/curators would get a daily
email listing any articles that have been proposed for spotlight, and/or could
visit a particular page that lists such articles.  Then, if they agree, they
could "darken" the post.

Another way to reduce abuse would be to have the names of the people who
spotlighted or darklighted the post to be listed, so that peer pressure could be
applied.

--Bill.