 Administrative / General / 11674
Re: Number of Search Hits?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Wed, 16 Jun 2004 16:14:20 GMT

In lugnet.admin.general, Frank Filz wrote:

"Dan Boger" <dan@peeron.com> wrote in message
On Tue, Jun 15, 2004 at 09:09:14PM +0000, Dave Schuler wrote:
I just noticed that a search on LUGNET for an generic term (such as LEGO)
returns some 121000 hits, and the first ten relevant posts are displayed.
http://news.lugnet.com/?q=lego

If one selects "next page" at the bottom, it brings up the next handful:
http://news.lugnet.com/?q=lego&qn=10

But if one changes the "10" in the url to "100," it still only brings up 10
hits.
http://news.lugnet.com/?q=lego&qn=100

This is hardly what one might call A Big Deal, but I thought that it used to be
possible to increase the number of hits per page and thereby speed browsing of
one's search results.  Do I remember incorrectly?

I thought the qn was how many results to skip - so by entering 100,
you're skipping to page 10?

Yup that seems right, except I seem to get 20 per page. You can use the
compact form to get more hits per page.

Hmm.. That explanation appears correct--I must have mis-interpreted what I was
seeing previously.  I'll try the "compact view."

Thanks to you both for your input!

Dave!