 Administrative / General / 11450
Re: New homepage for LUGNET
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general, lugnet.publish.html, lugnet.general
Date:
Sun, 22 Feb 2004 22:46:24 GMT

Tim Courtney wrote:
I agree that anyone should be able to submit a link for consideration, but I
believe (strongly) that an administrator should have to approve links to be
publicly visible. This prevents links to objectionable sites, and allows another
pair of eyes to check spelling, etc.

Sorry, this doesn't sound too 'open' to me as I fell this is 'power
centralisation' (your opinions may differ, of course).

I still think that crowd may have 'better' {and definitely faster}
decisions than few chosen ones. I think that total offtopic links would
be killed soon, in few tries. And the ones in 'grey' zone - let people
choose.

For branding purposes, I think this is a bad idea for LUGNET. Someone could then
advertise their site as "blah.lugnet.com," and have it interpreted as an actual
part of LUGNET. With this content outside of LUGNET's control, the name could be
abused.

I wonder why this doesn't happen on atari.org then?

I know IDs are ugly, but they're a simple (technical) solution. You still have
your site's *real* URL, but you also have a redirect available that others can
use to link to you if they want it auto-updated.

This is the same solution, but it's _much_ easier to remember/use. (Of
course www.lugnet.com/redir/sitename would do, but it's longer,
www.lugnet.com/redir.pl?id=4095849534 is imo too cumbersome).

Note that people will keep linking to big sites by their name. They aren't going
anywhere. Its the small sites on free systems like GeoCities, etc that would
really benefit from the redirects.

Of course.

--
Jindroush <jindroush@nospam.seznam.nospam.cz>
Remove both 'nospam's from the address to reply.