 Administrative / General / 11434
Re: Taking LUGNET to the next level
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general, lugnet.org
Date:
Sun, 22 Feb 2004 03:22:00 GMT

In lugnet.admin.general, Mike Thorn wrote:
   The first thing that springs to my mind is “Nooo!! If it ain’t broke don’t fix it! LUGNET is functioning just fine!”

Well, from my point of view, it is broke... But it’s very fixable.

   ...but with a committee like you’ve chosen I know everything will work out dandy.

I feel that way as well.

   And I heartily echo Ralph’s words (except the packet part, since I haven’t applied). You have done a stellar job of maintaining LUGNET and keeping things rolling.

Thanks...although I certainly can’t claim sole credit for that.

   So if I understand things right...by the end of March you want to have transformed this into a system very much similar to what LDraw.org recently set up.

I’m not super-familiar with the LDraw.org system lately, but maybe Tim or someone from the LDraw.org team can comment on that. The end of March sounds a overly optimistic in terms of major coding changes. Getting a personnel structure in place for long-term administration of LUGNET, as well as a new development server, is the main goal for the next few weeks.

   Then you would like to see it knit a closer relationship with a lot of the many major Brickhead sites out there,

Yes, especially also European and Asian sites. LUGNET is the international LEGO Users Group Network and has not been living up to the international portion of that very well in the past three years.

   and perhaps evolve into a NPO. Correct?

Yes. (If by NPO you mean Non-Profit Organization.) Suzanne and I both feel this is an option very much worth considering.

   ... For something that you’ve worked on for however many years now, that either takes a lot of courage or a lot of desperation.

At the risk of being called a hippie, I’m going to say it’s about love rather than courage or desperation. Love for the community, love of the brick, love for the camaraderie and magic that happens when people get together. It really hit home again at BrickFest PDX.

   And while I hadn’t joined LUGNET back when you announced your book, it looks like a great project to me (and you are an excellent photographer). I humbly bestow my best wishes on this project, which in my mind is not only desperately needed but terribly inspirational as well. Can I pre-order a copy now? :)

Not yet :-) but thanks for the kind words.

--Todd