 Administrative / General / 11389
Re: New homepage for LUGNET
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general, lugnet.publish.html, lugnet.general
Date:
Fri, 20 Feb 2004 20:51:58 GMT

In lugnet.admin.general, Matthew Miller wrote:
lester witter <witter@erim-int.com> wrote:
While the new site is being developed and tested, place it at lugnet.org
once it is finalized .org will become the "official" site. This is
consistant with developing a non-profit. The .com address can then be
used as the "beta" site for site upgrades

Moving to lugnet.org is a great idea. However, I think that making
lugnet.com a beta site could be confusing -- old links would get broken,
and people who are just guessing might pick .com. I think lugnet.com links
should eventually transparently redirect to the equivalent .org location.

(Something like "beta.lugnet.org" could be used for testing instead.
Having a test site is a good idea too.)

I think we have bigger fish to fry w/r/t LUGNET than moving it to .org. That's a
decision we can make later, once the new infrastructure for maintaining LUGNET
is in place.

-Tim