 Administrative / General / 11363
Re: New homepage for LUGNET
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general, lugnet.publish.html, lugnet.general
Date:
Fri, 20 Feb 2004 13:08:46 GMT

In lugnet.admin.general, Andrew Allan wrote:

   The site should be HSI (High Speed Internet) friendly and LSI (Low Speed Internet) friendly. This also means only one site, not two, i.e. one for Flash and one for others. This makes some people feel left out and can cause loss of site traffic.

Echoing the above, to me the current design of Lugnet is very LSI friendly and logically laid out. In my opinion this makes Lugnet one of the great sites (similar to Yahoo and Google) and I’m by no means unique in my opinion.

You are right. The current LUGNET site is very LSI friendly. I enjoy coming to this website not just because of its content but also because I don’t have to wait five minutes for a page to load unlike the LEGO site.

   Lugnet’s greatest strength is that without waiting or taxing bandwidth I can enter and quickly find what I want. On this basis I would actively discourage messing with the basic formula.

Again you are right. More than likely everyone here likes the way this site is designed.

Predominantly, I use Lugnet to view (an occasionally take part in) discussion groups, read lego news, research sets etc. and a basically text based interface is ideal for this.

If I want to view a pretty, graphically heavy and therefore slow interface I can always visit www.lego.com

Therefore, liberal use of javascript is good as are some icons but placing masses of pretty graphics and flash movies everywhere will just slow down the experience without actually adding any real benefit beyond asthetics.

By all means “freshen up” Lugnet but please don’t go overboard or mess with

Erik Bush