 Administrative / General / 11355
Re: New homepage for LUGNET
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general, lugnet.publish.html, lugnet.general
Date:
Fri, 20 Feb 2004 07:44:49 GMT

In lugnet.admin.general, Mike Thorn wrote:
   In lugnet.admin.general, Gary Thomas wrote:
   It may be off topic, but I think it would be very cool if the site was designed using CSS layout, i.e. no nested tables. A great example site is:

http://www.csszengarden.com

It would make site development very straightforward, and allow people to switch look and feels very easily.

I agree with Gary, except for one big thing.

Precise CSS positioning that’s cross-browser compatible (IE, Mozilla, Opera, Netscape, Mac) is a pain royalé, sitting right next to impossible. I’ve done it and it’s nuts. Unless you don’t care if your stuff is misaligned by five pixels or so, you’re guaranteed a long, frustrating coding session. What looks terrific in IE is a shambles in another browser.

Very true, but I’ve found that simply specifying the correct doctype for pages works like magic, at least on modern browsers:

HTML PUBLIC “-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01 Transitional//EN” “http://www.w3.org/TR/1999/REC-html401-19991224/loose.dtd”

Using this works amazingly well - the results are nearly identical across the browsers I’ve checked. More info can be found at:

http://www.alistapart.com/articles/journey/

Later,

Gary

OTOH, if you *do* get it to work, it looks spectacular. :)

-Mike