 Administrative / General / 11346
Re: New homepage for LUGNET
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general, lugnet.publish.html, lugnet.general
Date:
Fri, 20 Feb 2004 04:09:48 GMT

Ralph Döring <doe@gmx.de> wrote:
An improved rating system for news: Ratings from 0-10 (like your PDX Photo
Gallery); graphically display rating to each news; link the ratings to the

If I remember right, the initial news rating system *was* 0-10, and it
didn't work very well. Too many options, too much work.

author as well: when an author always gets high ratings for his postings
it will be very likley that a new message by him will be interesting
again. Now combine this with some content based and collaborative
filtering and generate a personal LUGNET homepage (first-/front-page)
for each member/visitor.

I'm not sure this is a good thing. It can lead to a sort of "clique" of
Famous Posters and interesting things by newcomers or just plain quieter
sorts could be easily lost.

--
Matthew Miller           mattdm@mattdm.org        <http://www.mattdm.org/>
Boston University Linux      ------>                <http://linux.bu.edu/>