 Administrative / General / 1130
Re: Question: Are reviews of non-LEGO (such as Mega Blocks) sets of interest?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Sat, 6 Mar 1999 04:30:40 GMT

Todd Lehman wrote in message ...

:In lugnet.reviews, lighthouse@bonzai.net (Janet Zorn) writes:
:> I doubt that .reviews will get deluged with clone reviews. Lego
makes
:> probably as many sets as all the clones combined, and few here will
:> buy clones to be able to review them. For those few of us who from
:> time to time indulge in buying on the megacheap .reviews would be a
:> better place to read a few reviews once in a great while (there's
not
:> alot of traffic here anyway) rather than to have to wade thru all
the
:> stuff in .off-topic.fun.
:
:Janet,
:Do you think a new newsgroup
:
:   lugnet.off-topic.clone-brands
:
:would be useful?

I think that a single group for things like that would be very nice,
if you are willing to do it.

:Here is a related thread for more background:
:
:   http://www.lugnet.com/news/display.cgi?lugnet.general:2307

I read a lot of the discussion at the reference. It is clear to me
that I
don't feel nearly as strongly as lots of y'all do on this.

When I joined Lugnet I didn't read all the philosophy pages about it.
I am attracted for the following reasons. It is a cool set-up. A great
idea.
A calmer atmosphere than RTL. Another place to seriously discuss what
we do and enjoy -- build. It doesn't matter to me what brand of bricks
people use.

Let me make it perfectly clear -- I totally respect your desire to
keep the
on-topic discussions about the LEGO brand. I am happy to abide by it.
If passion for the brand is part of what motivates you to make this
place
in cyberia for us, then it is a great thing.

We can all agree that with all of the complaints that we all have
about TLG
they are the makers of ingenious and superior products. (I think it is
ironic
that as a non-brand purist I am probably less of a critic of TLG than
many
here. Though I'd rather buy a decent MB set than a Town Jr. or ZNAP or
Throwbot or SCALA or Insectoid, or Light&Sound or CyberSlam or
Belville.)

:I always just figured that clone brands wouldn't come up here --
except in
:pejorative contexts -- because almost all LEGO® fans tend to be
purists.  But
:if there is a desire for people to share information about clone
brands in the
:groups here, then I think it would be best to create a separate area
to gobble
:up these unwanted discussions -- just like the other areas (.debate,
.fun,
:.test) of the .off-topic hierarchy.

Given that you want to keep the on-topic discussions about the LEGO
brand,
and if you are willing to create a group like what you described at
the top of this
message, then I think that it should be kept to one group only - not a
tree of
groups (eg, one for building and one for reviews and one for
sales,etc.).
The reason for one group is that you were essentially right. There are
few like
me who buy, mix and build with non-LEGO brands. That is why there has
been
so little discussion of them on Lugnet or RTL. And because there will
be so little
traffic, there should only be one group so that there is *something*
to read on it
once a week. :-)

The reason I object to off-topic.fun is that it is too much "fun"
(after all you're the one
who doesn't think it is fun to build with other brands :-)  ) and not
really the place for a
rare comment about other brands of building bricks that shares the
serious spirit about
building that exists here on Lugnet though not the dogmatic LEGO brand
loyalty.

DJ Zorn

To locate scans of official instructions
for discontinued sets only go to:
http://www.kl.net/scans/