 Administrative / General / 11204
Re: annoyingly repetitive test of whether posting works
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general, lugnet.admin.nntp
Date:
Tue, 23 Dec 2003 21:55:30 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.test, Larry Pieniazek wrote:
In lugnet.off-topic.test, David Koudys wrote:
In lugnet.off-topic.test, Larry Pieniazek wrote:
test

Rats!  I was expecting repetitive test postings...

These postings ARE repetitive, because I find myself posting here "to see
if LUGNET is accepting posts" rather more frequently than I'd rather,
because LUGNET is  exhibiting "your post was not accepted, return code 0"
behaviour rather more frequently than I'd like.

The next repetition will occur the next time I notice that, so save that
canned response for then!

(FUT admin.general because it has to do with the health of the server)

I'm really sorry about that.  I've got a script that runs once a minute and
checks whether xinetd is running, and if it finds that it isn't, it restarts
it.  I installed this a couple months ago when we had the massive NNTP
traffic -- it was causing xinetd to die sporadically.

Anyway, what I've noticed over the past few weeks is that whenever xinetd
has stopped serving new NNTP connections, it's still sitting around with a
process running.  That is, the main xinetd process hasn't stopped running,
it's just not serving new connections anymore.  My automatic restart script
then notices this and tries to do a kill -9 on it, but for some reason I
don't understand, that doesn't always succeed in killing it.  However,when
I log in and kill it manually as the same user, that always successfully
kills it.  It's bizarre and starting to drive me nuts because it's happening
like once a week now.

--Todd

[xfut => .admin.nntp]