 Administrative / General / 1081
Re: Interesting bit of news/mail gateway trivia..
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Sun, 21 Feb 1999 18:32:07 GMT

In lugnet.admin.general, jasper@janssen.dynip.com (Jasper Janssen) writes:
I just discovered something else that stems from the setting of the
From: field to the posters name, rather than lugnet.com, for the
news/mail gateway to the robotics list:

I posted something in lugnet.robotics, and the postmaster for some
subscriber or other, just mailed _me_ the delivery failure, rather
than the mailing list or lugnet.

I'll include all headers below.
[message snipped]

Bummer, I was afraid this might happen someday.  Not only did the mailserver
dishonor the Errors-To header, it looks like it also deleted it when it
bounced a copy of the message it back to you!  :=(

On all outgoing news-by-mail messages, the Errors-To header is set like
this...

...so that any delivery errors (are supposed to) come back to the server
rather than to the poster.  As far as I can tell, this has been working
99.99% of the time or better.  (Yours is the first problem I've heard of
since this went in, but maybe it happened to other people, who knows.)

The ORA sendmail book warned that some older SMTP (mail) servers don't
support Errors-To.  :-P

Maybe there's another header that can be deployed in combination or in lieu
of Errors-To...  I'll look around some more.

--Todd

p.s.  Thanks for reporting this.