 Administrative / General / 10708
Re: Unsorted lot of over 5800 pcs.
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Thu, 23 Jan 2003 19:52:19 GMT

David Eaton wrote:

In lugnet.market.auction, Frank Filz writes:
In the meantime, I suggest:

- auction announcements, no matter where the auction is held (eBay,
BrickLink, Yahoo, by mail, etc.) be posted only in
lugnet.market.auctions

- announcements of private sales and trades be posted only in
lugnet.market.buy-sell-trade, unless they are announcements of BrickLink
sales (but not auctions), in which case it seems acceptable to
cross-post to lugnet.market.brickshops (but not to cross-post to theme
groups).

Personally, I think the standards have changed for auctions-- it used to be
(in pre-ebay pre-bricklink days) that people would hold auctions themselves
and bash newsgroups with repeated auction updates. I think this continuous
post beating is what encouraged auctions to be in their own area on Lugnet.
Now that 3rd party auction forums take care of the updates themselves, this
is *considerably* less of a problem.

I'd personally suggest a system where auction *annoucements* may go anywhere
sale posts might go, but auction *updates* are limited to .market.auction.
(Not that we see many of *those* anymore :)

For the one auction a blue moon, I wouldn't worry about where the
updates go. I'd much rather see a separate place for eBay auctions so
that I can see the personally run auction when a blue moon occurs.

Frank