 Administrative / General / 10624
10623  |  10625
Subject:
"Idiot Screensaver to see" and possible email spoofing
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Tue, 1 Oct 2002 22:38:49 GMT

   Hi all,

   I just got an internet connection (however sporadic) back after
   not having one outside my departmental lab terminals for a month,
   and Richard Parsons popped me an email after someone sent him
   the possible virus attachment named in the subject.  I don't know
   how this works, if it's something that spoofs one address to another,
   but I know it could not have come from any of my machines because
   they've not been hooked up to the Internet; and I do not use this
   email address anywhere else but LUGNET anymore (I can't send mail
   from it in fact--it points to my primary).  But the originator seems
   to be this address or, at least, it is masked this way.  There is
   however no way even remotely possible that it could have come from
   my account.

   I figured I ought to let Suz et al know that this is out there;
   I'm not sure what it means with respect to other LUGNETters or
   the security of information or if it's just a weird twist dragged
   out of Richard's own phonebook or something.

   A great mystery indeed.  Any insight is of course welcome, because
   I'm sure I'm a complete dolt on these matters.

   all best

   LFB