 Administrative / General / 1034
Re: Dear Administrator
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains, lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Wed, 10 Feb 1999 02:06:04 GMT

[followups set to lugnet.admin.general]

In lugnet.trains, steve.bar@worldnet/att/net (Steve Barile) writes:
Todd,
Please post something and stop this insane flaming apologizing crap. I
just want to read and chat about LEGO trains. I don't want to read about chips
on shoulders... These guys are dominating the group with what I call unrelated
info. How about starting lugnet.flame so when people want to hash it out they
can leave the topical group and verbally beat each other in a group made for
this activity.

I think this all boils down a few layers of simple good-natured confusion.

Long ago (December, I think), when Kurt Eilers and John Neil (friends)
signed up together, there was evidence that they may have been the same
person (which turned out to be false).  I did a quick background check and
called John on the phone to make sure that they were actually two people.
Background: http://www.lugnet.com/news/display.cgi?lugnet.admin.general:717

I offended Kurt by doing some background checking (a couple rounds of e-mail
questions) to make sure that he and John were actually two people.  (I was
nearly convinced that it was one person playing games, so I was probably
impolite to Kurt, and I apologized).  Anyway, looking through the messages
that Kurt posted today and yesterday, it's evident that Kurt accidentally
thought Larry was me and mistook Larry's comments as continued criticism due
to the original questions surrounding John & Kurt.

For the record:
- I understand that Kurt and John are different people and hold no grudges
  or ill will toward either.
- Larry and I are different people.

Other data:  The article-cancel logs show that Kurt today cancelled 14 of
his posts.  Kurt didn't say why he chose to do this, but I gather from
various postings that he has a sincere wish to put the matter behind and
move on.

It's important that people understand the full history of this, so that they
can understand Kurt's frustration and cut him a bit of slack.  Additionally,
there are so many people online these days, it's sometimes difficult to keep
track of who's who.

--Todd