 Administrative / General / 10215
Re: Criticism of LUGNET's homepage (was: Re: newsticker)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Wed, 20 Feb 2002 21:24:57 GMT

In lugnet.admin.nntp, Thomas Main writes:
WHAT I'D LIKE TO SEE GO/MOVED

* The "Events" link

Not that it isn't neat to see what's happening in the various LEGO clubs and
organizations around...but this is really just a link to the lugnet.events
newsgroup.  I think newbies might be looking for a more traditional "calendar
of events" that shows who, what, where and when something is scheduled in the
fan community.

I think this link should not go, but be changed into an events calendar,
links to large events sites (BrickFest in DC, BricksWest in CA, the big
rtlToronto events, LEGOWORLD in the Netherlands, etc), and links to event
pictures.

Possible curatorship by someone who wants to maintain this??

* "the friendliest place on the Internet." quote.  This is really just a pet
peeve of mine.

Disagree with the snippage.  I don't think its relevant if it was said about
RTL and LUGNET adopted it.... RTL was the forum for the LEGO online
community then, LUGNET is the forum for the LEGO online community today.  To
me, at least, the same quote applies.

* The Fibblesnork Lego Survey/Fibblesnork Lego Guide

I think this is really dated an shouldn't be on the main page.

Or allow someone, or a group of someone's, to create a new survey based on
this one, but make it current and format it to LUGNET's pages.  The survey
really is a good idea.

* LUGNET's set inventories

I would much prefer a link to the peeron.com inventories placed here.

Same here.  The LUGNET set database even integrates w/Peeron.  And Peeron's
inventories are actively being updated.

INTODUCTORY NEWSGROUPS PARAGRAPH

I'd like to see a short paragraph explaining what the newsgroups are and how to
view them right up near the top...where the crossword section is now.  I think
the newsgroups are by far LUGNET's greatest claim to fame.  A newbie might not
understand or even see that there is a welath of newsgroups linked from the
main page because there really isn't any explanation on this page of what the
newsgroups are/how they are structured and how important the newsgroups are to
the community.  Maybe I'm just being thick, but I think more than one newbie
might not have followed the site deep enough to realize the scope and content
of the newsgroups on here.

Very good idea.  Put a new user orientation/introduction page up that's
highly visible (like the Get Started link on LDraw.org) to grab surfers and
introduce them so they don't miss all LUGNET has to offer.

REFERENCE/FUN THINGS HEADINGS FLIPPED

Yup.

A LIST OF FAQs

I know Cary Clark and others have been working feverishly on these.  I think
they would be useful to have linked from the main page.

Definitely, very important.

SOMETHING TO REPLACE THE CLSOTW

The main page needs fresh content on it and seeing a picture of original MOCs
is, IMHO, the best way to achieve this.  Even a picture of "model of the month"
would be welcome.

I'd welcome MOTM/SOTM pictures on the main LUGNET page, it would get
LDraw.org more exposure :-)  If you're not gonna run a contest (admins),
could you at least show off the LDraw one?

Don't get me wrong...I love LUGNET.  But I would like to see some changes to
the main page.  Do members/admin agree/disagree?

I think we need to discuss more along the lines of how to introduce new
users into the community.  The LUGNET main page is a big part of that.

-Tim