 Administrative / General / 10144
Re: Possible crawler-bot alert?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Tue, 5 Feb 2002 15:38:24 GMT

----- Original Message -----
From: "Dan Boger" <dan@peeron.com>
In lugnet.admin.general, Andy Lynch wrote:
Question regarding this. I mostly post to LUGNET via e-mail. I just
tried doing so using a spamblock in my reply-to header. This works
fine, but my From: field still shows my normal address, and LUGNET • is
polite enough to display that fact, as shown here:

that is correct - since you didn't change your "from" field to use the
spamblock. What you need to do is create a new "posting setup" here:

  http://news.lugnet.com/news/post/setup/

and put in your spamblock email address in the "From" area. Then, • change
your mail client to send mail as if it's comeing from that spamblock
address. After the posting setup gets processed, you'll be able to • post,
and the only address shown with be the spamblocked one.

Oh, I see.  I have actually changed my posting setup to include the
block, but cannot send e-mail out using the block, as my mail server
will not let that pass.  Oh well.

I must have a couple of posting setups in the LUGNET database, one with
the block and one without.

<snip>

While this (and other ways) are easy to do, they're very easy to
overcome, and probably not worth the effort. If you're worried about
spam, use a spamblock - that's the only (close to) safe way.

Dan

<sigh>  Of course, you are right with this.  It's a pity so much effort
goes into this sort of thing.

Anyway, thanks for the quick reply.  :-)
-Andy Lynch