 Administrative / General / 10140
Re: Possible crawler-bot alert?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Mon, 4 Feb 2002 14:46:19 GMT

I've been getting a lot of these - but only to a defunct address that
never posted on LUGNET before...

Mr L F Braun wrote:

  Hi,

  I just wanted to ask if there's any evidence we've been visited by
  a spambot lately--suddenly there's been an enormous spike in spam
  (two or three a day, up from one every six months) to my .msu.edu
  account, which I *only* use to post here and have a forwarding
  set from.  It's possible that it could be an odd mailing-list sale,
  but because my address hasn't been responsive it's much more likely
  that something is out there farming email addresses.

  Is this possible, or are there measures in place to prevent this?
  Have others been noticing a problem, especially as concerns debt-
  reduction and cell-phone ads?  I do recall Todd having said something
  about ways that LUGNET's setup prevents webcrawlers from farming
  here.

  many thanks,

  LFB

  Xpost -> .admin.general, followups not yet set