 Administrative / Database / 757
Re: Help Needed: Cannot See Pictures in Database
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.database
Date:
Sun, 21 May 2000 18:05:48 GMT

In lugnet.admin.database, Kyle D. Jackson writes:
[...]  I can see the thumbnails when browsing, but when I go to a specific
set I get nothing. [...]

Offhand I can think of two possibilities -- (1) your browser config is causing
it to send a bogus value for the HTTP referrer field or (2) your browser config
is causing it to refuse embedded images sent by a script.  But, looking at the
httpd logs, and making an educated guess as to which one is you based on
headers in your NNTP message, it looks like neither of those is the case.  I
can confirm from the logs that the server is sending back a "403 Forbidden"
response for DB queries which it, IMHO, shouldn't be in these cases.

Your browser's user-agent string looks interesting, BTW -- it contains the
word "robot" as part of the word "Robotics" in the full string

   Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 5.01; Windows NT; 3COM U.S. Robotics)

There are several scripts on the server which check for various problematic
user-agent strings -- things like "slurp" and "robot" and "snoop" and "pockey"
which have caused havoc in the past.  I rewrote the regex a while back to be
more careful about the substring "robot" when I discovered the existence of
the 3Com/USR subversion of MSIE5 but it looks like I neglected to update that
regex in the obscure img.cgi script.  That would explain why you're not able
to access the images served by img.cgi but still able to access other things.

[...] Could this be caused by lost "cookies" or "certificates"?  Maybe I'll
try Win98 and see if I have the same problem there as well.

How long have you been using the USR version of MSIE?  10 to 1 odds that this
is (was) the problem (at my end -- not your fault).

What happens now?

--Todd