 Administrative / Database / 13
12  |  14
Subject:
Piece-name Question
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.database
Date:
Fri, 6 Nov 1998 15:52:39 GMT

This is kind of an odd question, I think.

In Tim Vattima's inventory of set #1782, the TRU-almost-exclusive
Divers Discovery Station, has some interesting part names.  This
inventory is at <http://www.lugnet.com/inv/tv/item.pml?641>.  And a
picture of the set is at, of course,
<http://www.lugnet.com/pause/search/?query=1782>.

One of the items listed is "3 Grey Lock Joint Holder[s] (Style 2)".  I
don't have the set handy, and I'm trying to think of what this part
is.  I'm slowly losing my mind.  Anyone know what these lock joint
holders are?

Whoops!  I figured it out.  They're the Technic toothed 1/2 bushing,
aka the small pulley.  I was reviewing the inventory page (URL'ed
above), and I used the part cross-reference to see what other sets
were listed.  I started thinking about the Dig'N'Dump, and something
clicked.

So, nevermind.

Tim has some really unusual part-names in his listings.  Such as
"1x1x1 Round Rocket Stage (small)" for a 1x1 cone brick.  :)

Which brings up another question, for all you parts-inventory database
compilers out there.  Do you use a standard part-name list?  Off the
top of my head, I can think of four major sources for parts-names:

The various AucZILLA auctions
The LDraw parts library
Jim Hughes' technica
Lutz Uhlman's parts reference

These four are all large lists of parts, they are all published for
everyone to access (well, AucZILLA depends on what parts are in the
current auction, but there's still a lot of good stuff there), and
they are fairly well known.

Do most people use these lists?  Or do they just have their own naming
guidelines?

For myself, I start with LDraw (because that's on my hard-drive), and
if I don't find the part there, I check if it's in the current
AucZILLA, or look in technica, and then go to Lutz.

-+Steve