 Administrative / Database / 1197
  Custom Created Set Reference

Hello Todd, I've noticed that an increasingly number of AFOL's begin to offer custom created "to be build" sets to our Lego community. More and more of these sets started to emerge lately, and since most of them are realy impressive, I propose to (...) (23 years ago, 30-Mar-01, to lugnet.admin.database)

  Re: Custom Created Set Reference

(...) Well, I think it would be neat to have a separate page for fan inspired creations that are available to be bought. While it should not be part of the original LEGO set database, it could be it's own. I would suppose models that are submitted (...) (23 years ago, 30-Mar-01, to lugnet.admin.database)

  Re: Custom Created Set Reference

I'm certainly not Todd, but I disagree with this almost as much as I disagreed with LUGNET hosting a clone set DB. Custom sets are nice, and I even own some, but I don't think this is the place, imho. Not wanting to start a debate, just expressing (...) (23 years ago, 30-Mar-01, to lugnet.admin.database)

  Re: Custom Created Set Reference

(...) I think there's a difference between a clone data base and a data base of custom sets. To quote from the Lugnet plan (from the purpose of Lugnet): (...) Hmm, sounds like a data base of fan created custom sets fits in that purpose. Should it be (...) (23 years ago, 30-Mar-01, to lugnet.admin.database)

  Re: Custom Created Set Reference

(...) I didn't say they were the same as clones, I said I disagreed with it almost as much :) (...) ok, it fits in the purpose, but where's the line drawn? Is a MOC not a set if I don't sell it? What if I draw up plans for it and give them away for (...) (23 years ago, 30-Mar-01, to lugnet.admin.database)

  Re: Custom Created Set Reference

(...) Sharing the information doesn't mean spending the time to create a database for it... I think a newsgroup is more in line for that, but I guess that's what .build is for... :) (23 years ago, 30-Mar-01, to lugnet.admin.database)

  Re: Custom Created Set Reference

I agree that a custom set database isn't a very good idea. For one, it would only be beneficial to the few people who buy the custom sets. While I can't claim to know how many people buy them, I suspect it is a very small percentage of LEGO users. (...) (23 years ago, 30-Mar-01, to lugnet.admin.database)

  Re: Custom Created Set Reference

(...) The inventory is copyrighted, yes. While a "guide to custom kits" might be an interesting thing for someone to draw up, an inventory of each one may not be practical. I have changed composition of kits mid run due to running out of things (I (...) (23 years ago, 31-Mar-01, to lugnet.admin.database)

  Re: Custom Created Set Reference

(...) How's that? --Todd (23 years ago, 31-Mar-01, to lugnet.admin.database)

  Re: Custom Created Set Reference

(...) What I mean is, you claim copyright on the particular manifestation of the inventory you have created, yes? And certainly on the building instruction booklet you provde, yes? But not on the mathematical set listing the constituent elements and (...) (23 years ago, 31-Mar-01, to lugnet.admin.database)

  Re: Custom Created Set Reference

(...) I imagine Larry knows what Todd is talking about, but for anyone else: I believe Todd is referring to the general precept that grocery lists, etc, cannot be copyrighted. See (URL) bulleted item. TWS Garrison (23 years ago, 31-Mar-01, to lugnet.admin.database)

  Re: Custom Created Set Reference

(...) btw, woo hoo, i was wondering if i would get a cease and desist or not :) (and i don't mean from larry ;) ) (23 years ago, 31-Mar-01, to lugnet.admin.database)

  Re: Custom Created Set Reference

Thank you all for your replies. They have broken my personal record, I believe I never generated such a long thread before. In this post I'll try to respond to the remarkes made by you. I fully agree that a Custom Created Set Reference has to be a (...) (23 years ago, 31-Mar-01, to lugnet.admin.database)

  Re: Custom Created Set Reference

(...) Since I include an inventory page in my instructions, the representation of that inventory is copyrighted, yes. If you wanted to make an inventory available elsewhere, except under fair use doctrine, you would either need my permission or you (...) (23 years ago, 31-Mar-01, to lugnet.admin.database)

  Re: Custom Created Set Reference

(...) secret. (My client yesterday is very concerned with protecting recipes for things...) Inasmuch as the particular parts used to comprise a model can be considered a recipe they can be protected by agreements with the individual users or (...) (23 years ago, 31-Mar-01, to lugnet.admin.database)

  Re: Custom Created Set Reference

(...) As I've said in my more comprehensive reply: (URL) believe that a inventory is not very usefull for custom created set, and I had no intention to include inventories in a possible Custom Created Set Reference. I'm aware of the importance of (...) (23 years ago, 31-Mar-01, to lugnet.admin.database)

  Re: Custom Created Set Reference

(...) No apology necessary, I think Todd and the others are talking in the general case. Your intent was, and remains, clear to me and I have no issues with it whatsoever. (...) Yes indeed, seems a good characterization/metric. ++Lar (23 years ago, 1-Apr-01, to lugnet.admin.database)

  Re: Custom Created Set Reference

(...) Hmm, an interesting topic... One could get a good inventory by noticing that John Doe happens to have brought set GOB-1234 to Brickfest and then disassemble it to count the parts. Of course how you get it back together again is another (...) (23 years ago, 1-Apr-01, to lugnet.admin.database, lugnet.off-topic.debate)