  Search Results: brick testament hietbrink
 Results 6 – 10 of about 27000.
Search took 0.01 CPU seconds.

Messages:  Full | Brief | Compact

Re: The Brick Testament: Jesus Redux
Newsgroups:
lugnet.build.ancient
Date:
Tue, 21 Feb 2006 19:51:35 GMT

In lugnet.announce.moc, Brendan Powell Smith wrote:
   This kicks off a revamp of the New Testament side of the site, with some stories being redone and several new stories added.

Hey Brendan,

Very cool. I’ve been away for a week and didn’t get much chance to go on-line. I’m assuming the revamp is anticipation of another book? It’s great to see you go back and redo some of these with all of the extra experience you’ve gained since you started. You should keep the originals up on your site somewhere to compare, perhaps in a section along with some of the “how did he do it?” photos you’ve shared.

Jesus is baptised - Is that the head you used before for John the Baptist? Very good as the wide-eyed zealot. I like how you’ve done the SNOT water a lot. One bonus is that little edge of tan you get along the side that makes some more texture in your shoreline. Jesus swims with his clothes on? Is that parrot painted, or some odd-color part you got from a Model Builders Shop or something? Both Bricklink and peeron don’t have white versions. How’s he staying up, btw. Is that glue or is there some behind-the-scenes support?

Peter and company - Nicely done, though not a lot of build details to comment on. The tree seems kind of cooly Dr. Seuss-esque, though I’m not sure I like the grey.

J the B’s Head - What’s that torso on Herod? I like the throne room a lot and that’s a great cave.

Peter and a slightly different company - The first shot in this section is superb, with those tan buildings and the use of focus and the camera angle from below. If you’re doing a book like “The ministry of Jesus” this could definitely be the cover shot (as opposed to if you were also including the Easter story, in which case you’ll want to go with something like the Last Supper or the Crucifixion as a more iconic image). Good work getting different looks with the nets, btw (no Spiderman white nets?).

Transmutation (Btw, did you ever see the King of the Hill episode where Bobby did a Jesus’ miracles magic show for his Sunday School class?) - I love the pic where Mary is holding the bottle saying “they have no more wine”. It makes perfect LEGO sense but would never work for a person holding a bottle that big. Nice idea for the water bottles with those ball-socket pieces.

Run out of town - I really like the synagogue. I recently did a similar ceiling. I like the various forms of sitting women in 6:3. Great perspective shot where the crowd is carrying him to the cliff. LOL on the guy falling in the final shot.

Demons - Nice use of the Exo-force heads and very good photoshoppery on the demons. At the front edge of the stage (as in 12:22), what is the part that gives that grooved pattern? Nice choices on all the different demons, btw.

Matt and Levi - In the first pic I like the furniture a lot and also Jesus peeking around the corner. Interesting scale idea. I’m not 100% convinced on it, but I can’t think of a better solution.

Walks on water - I really like the way you did the stormy sea. Especially contrasting with the all flat SNOT water in the other scenes.

Bruce

brick, testament, hietbrink
(score: 6.229)

Re: The Brick Testament: Jesus Redux
Newsgroups:
lugnet.build.ancient
Date:
Wed, 22 Feb 2006 19:40:08 GMT

In lugnet.build.ancient, Brendan Powell Smith wrote:
   Hi, Bruce. Nice to have your comments again.

Hey. Yeah, I was out of town last week and only had minimal internet access, so didn’t get a chance to go through in detail till I got back.

   and it seemed like a Life of Jesus (or as you suggested, Ministry of Jesus) book would be a likely candidate. So that’s part of the reason for the revamp.

Since you already did Christmas, it seems like one on the ministry of Jesus and one on the Easter story and all that surrounds it would be a nice series.

   But I’ll try to refrain from, say, using Photoshop in every scene, and hopefully avoid any Greedo-shot-first fiascos.

Hmm, you could make the Cannanites destroy the Israelites first. ;)

   The older versions are still online

Cool. I’ll have to go back and look at these in detail.

   I know I do have a handful of crazy rare pieces that generally aren’t available in the colors I have them in (like the brown and black beards of the wise men in “Jesus Is Born”),

You lucky dog. I’d give one of my minifig Leia’s left arms to have your sources. (Of course, it’s just a standard left in white, so that’s not too hard. I’d hate to risk cracking her torso, though.)

   I was actually able to get the bird to balance on Jesus’s head a couple of times, just long enough to get the requisite photos.

Whenever I try something like that I keep bumping the table and it takes hours to get the shot I want.

   J the B’s Head - What’s that torso on Herod?

I believe that is King Mathias Knight’s Kingdom II.

Aha. You’d think that as a castle guy I should know all those, but I’ve only bought one KKII set.

   I have to admit, when I hear “The Ministry of Jesus” it also sounds like it could be a section of the British government. (Please report to the Ministry of Jesus by 9 AM on Tuesday with all appropriate paperwork in order.)

Right down the hall from the Ministry of Silly Walks?

   Transmutation (Btw, did you ever see the King of the Hill episode where Bobby did a Jesus’ miracles magic show for his Sunday School class?)

I know I saw it when it first aired, but that was a while ago know, so my memory of it isn’t so sharp. Was there something about it you wanted to point out?

Nah, that’s just one of my favorite episodes. Bobby: “Water into wine, it’s a miracle!” -applause- “Now, for my next trick, I need a volunteer and a large wooden cross . . .” Hank and Peggy “Noooooooo!!!!” -fade to commercial-

   That whole interior of your looks really nice, by the way. I love the tree mosaic, and the upper walls are really sweet.

Thanks. That’s part of my on-going uncompleted Minas Tirith chapters that I’ve been stuck on for a couple of years now. I actually have another scene that’s been built for a month but I haven’t gotten around to photographing yet.

   Not to mention the arched ceilings which I apprently copied. Actually I think I copied technique this from someone else, though unfortunately I can’t remember where I saw it.

I’m sure lots of people have done that. I actually first saw it as the underside of bridge in some train layout.

   Thanks again for taking the time to comment!

No problem. Looking forward to the next installment. Someday I’ll do some more of my own project, though this record is pretty embarrasing. I keep getting sidetracked by other projects, not to mention job, moving across country, getting married, etc.

Bruce

brick, testament, hietbrink
(score: 6.229)

Re: The Brick Testament: The End of the World (and more!)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.build.ancient
Date:
Mon, 6 Mar 2006 15:49:31 GMT

Hey Brendan,

Great to see new installments so soon.

Canaanite Dogs - I like the building on the right in the first picture quite a lot. What’s the bowl on the left in the second picture, by the way. It’s nice to see a little bit of landscaping in the background. One of my complaints with BT is that often your landscaping is all flat baseplates.

Disciples Sent Out - Hmm, the green flame thing is kinda cool but it says more “Emperor killing Luke” than “Jesus blesses disciples” to me. I love the expression when the disciple is being fed a bug. The raining flames with burnt bodies in the background scene is very effective.

Lazarus Reanimated - Great hammock solution. In MM&L’s house i like the beams offset by half a stud quite a lot. Good cave and cliff. It took a bit for me to figure out what the grill tile was at Lazarus’ feet - I’m not sure if that’s effective. Switching in the Vader head for the mummy head works well.

Jesus and the Poor - Funny but sick take on the leper. Those offset bricks are nice in the wall and the doors-as-table is surprisingly effective.

Jesus Curses a Tree - Hmm, I’m not sure if the withered tree works. I think it would be better if you recreated the camera shot from the first pic in the story with Jesus walking away and the tree in soft focus in the background.

Temple Tantrum - LOL on the name. This is probably my favorite of this batch, as everything in here works really well. The action is particularly well portrayed in the “turning over the tables of the moneychangers” scene.

The End of the World - Along with Temple Tantrum, another very well done story. I like the building in the first scene quite a lot, and the earthquake is cool. Bring out your dead brought a smile to my face. In Matt. 24:9, the column made of twisted technic ribbed hoses doesn’t really work, IMO. It looks like it should be in a sci-fi, rather than ancient, setting. The clouds and the rapture scenes are really good, but the most effective scene of all is the fires of Hell. Great work.

Bruce

brick, testament, hietbrink
(score: 6.229)

Re: The Brick Testament - How Jesus of Nazareth Got Kissed, Got Crucified, and Came Back to Life
Newsgroups:
lugnet.build.ancient
Date:
Tue, 13 Jun 2006 16:48:20 GMT

Yahoo! More BT!

Last Supper - Hmm, it seems very similar to before, though the photography seems crisper. Is the old version still there for comparison (for some reason, the relevant folders on Brickshelf are all suppressed - I can’t imagine any questionable photos (along the lines of Lot’s relations with his daughters) in these, which I thought was the point of Kevin’s handling of the BT)? I do see that it’s a lot more polished comparing the old to the new - the seams between bricks aren’t random, you’ve removed the goblets that were blocking faces, the window frames match the wall, and you’ve added some exterior outside the windows. You’ve also changed a couple of the disciple torsos. When did those become standardized? I know I’ve had the problem with two-year waits between my story updates that sometimes better torsos or heads appear for characters I’ve already established. One thing I notice is that the photoshoppery in this pic isn’t quite precise in that the satan ghost overlaps Judas’ arm.

Arrest - Again, I don’t remember exactly what the original was like, but this seems crisper. I like the first scene where they’re climbing into the hills a lot and the kneeling Jesus is very good. I’m not a big fan of the goofy angel face.

Trial - Ooh, there are some major changes here. I really like Annas and his floor, and also Caiaphas’ floor and his menorrah, Pilate’s porch and Herod’s floor. Why the grill bricks on Herod’s floor, btw? Setting these round bricks into the wall works well. I’m not a fan of that Barabbas face.

Crucifixion - Outstanding as always. I particularly like how you added the unfocused city in the background of the crucifixion scene. The cross carrying is also a nice new addition. Are the eyes in this scene modded or photoshopped? Btw, the minifig positioning in that scene is particularly good and realistic. The zombie attack is a nice scene - very Goldmanesque.

Judas’ fate - Where are the silver coins from? I see that there are a few on Bricklink but neither Bricklink or Peeron list them as being in any sets. Judas throwing the coins works well (nice floor there, btw), and slightly stretching the head out in the hanging is a funny effect. Not that it matters, but my impression was that the tradition was that he hung himself in a tree rather than inside.

Empty tomb - I get your point, but the way you emphasized the differences between the accounts is a little heavy-handed. The MOCs are all outstanding (though it seems like there should be a better solution for the strips of cloth). I particularly like the use of lighting for in the tomb, out of the tomb, Jesus in the door, etc.

How the Jews tell it - LOL on the “to this day” scene. Who knew that Harry Potter was Jewish?

Bruce

brick, testament, hietbrink
(score: 6.229)

Re: The Brick Testament - The Teachings of Jesus
Newsgroups:
lugnet.build.ancient
Date:
Fri, 14 Jul 2006 18:20:30 GMT

Hey Brendan,

Awesomeness!

Love - I really like the Oval Office, with the flag, the first family, that kalashnikov, etc. Was that curtain design inspired by Shawn Sullivan? And then - LOL - you don’t get a lot of Hitler MOCs. On the Klan, I think it would be better if you used this piece in white. I made this vig and my wife’s first thought was that it looked like a klan guy. The oil execs is funny and I like the technique to have the arab lean forward.

Forgiveness - more Bushy goodness. I just noticed that you used crates to make the desk - very effective. BTW, is the “hunt them down” part a real quote?

Giving - Hmm, the proportions seem off on the sports car. I really like the photo angle on Luke 6:34.

Lust - Very effective murder scene in the first pic, and the payoff in the last scene is very funny.

Hey, I’ve got to go right now. I’ll come back to the other parts later.

Bruce

brick, testament, hietbrink
(score: 6.229)

More:  Next Page >>