  Search Results: brick testament hietbrink
 Results 6 – 10 of about 27000.
Search took 0.01 CPU seconds.

Messages:  Full | Brief | Compact

Re: The Brick Testament - David Joins the Philistines
Newsgroups:
lugnet.build.ancient
Date:
Tue, 8 Jan 2008 10:25:43 GMT

In lugnet.build.ancient, Bruce Hietbrink wrote:
   Trying to catch up, very slowly.

Hi, Bruce. Thanks for taking out some time from the holidays to comment.

   David Collects a Third Wife - Great face on Nabal. I also like the pattern • snip I’m not a fan of the studs on the back of Abigail’s legs

here, perhaps if instead you used something like this brick.

I forced myself into a corner on that one. It’s the chance you take using a relatively rare color like dark blue for a minifig’s outfit. I would probably have avoided the studs using a dark blue 2x2 or 1x2 tile if I had any, but I don’t. The piece you suggested seems like it would work well, but alas it is one of many, many elements not currently available in dark blue.

   In this scene I like the bed design. Is that a Fabuland headboard?

I believe it is.

   The 1x1 tall round brick is nice along the bottom of the bed. Good blood trail in the “God struck him down” scene. In the last scene, what is that torso on Paltiel? It’s really nice.

That’s the torso of Keiken from the Exo-Force. I’d been wanting to get my hands on that fig since it first came out, and finally shelled out the money to get him on Bricklink. I was very happy to have such a distinctive “old man” face, plus the “old man in a rage” face on the back. The torso is nice too, as you noted.

   David Spares Saul Again - In the second pic, are those real tents? I had assumed they were just black double slopes until I reallized that Saul’s blue and white tent was in the mix.

Your first impression was correct; those are black slope micro-tents. That’s also a micro version of Saul’s tent just made with alternating blue and white plates. Glad the illusion works.

   Good use of the double sided face on Abishai. Why does Saul sometimes wear a Slytherin badge and other times not? (Also, is the non-badge torso a modified version of the badge version, or is there another torso with a similar pattern?)

Whoa, you caught a slip-up. I really like that Harry Potter torso (there’s another like it in crimson with a gold band) except for the badge. For most of the photos I resorted to photoshopping out the badge and covering it up with another “wrinkle” or two to match the ones already there. But it looks like this one slipped past me. I suppose I could come up with an ad-hoc justification (perhaps its only his sleeping robe that has the badge?), but that’s weak. I messed up. Perhaps one day I’ll correct it.

   In this pic, is David’s arm and spear just leaning there? How many times did that fall down in photographing the scene? :)

Heh, it fell over a lot. Yep, that’s just leaning there with good ol’ friction and gravity.

   David Joins the Philistines - David looks good in a Philistine hat. The repeated references to David and Saul’s reconciliation are funny.

David joining the Philistines (and the Israelites later not holding this against him) is pretty confounding as the Bible presents it. I’m not sure if there’s a logic to it I’m missing or what, but I have read that scholars think that the stories of 1 and 2 Samuel got jumbled around at some point so that they don’t really tell a coherent chronological story (despite it seemingly being presented as if it were one). So maybe if the stories are sorted in the right order it makes more sense, or maybe groups of originally independent David stories got mixed together, or maybe there are stories that got dropped from the collection that would have aided coherency. Who knows?

   David Massacres Women and Men - Lots of effective mayhem scenes here. In 27:8, the guy carrying a sheep over his head is funny. Great new camel design.

Of course I was wondering what you’d think of the new camels when I was redesigning them. Glad that get the Hietbrink approval. :)

   In the very last scene, I think Achish is trying to hyptonize me through the screen.

Those little black lightning bolts under his eyes can have that effect.

   Saul and the Necromancer - In 28:5-6 I’m curious as to what pieces make up he out-of-focus Philstine army.

I think for that scene I just used scores of blue minifig arms (with the yellow hands in place). Since I keep minifig arms sorted by color, this has been a handy solution in other scenes too. Usually the arms are used as corpses in scenes depicting the massacre of tens of thousands of people (of the sort that is so frighteningly common in the Bible).

   The necromancer’s home is cool with a jumble of all sorts of objects. I’m not thrilled with the necromancer herself made of all those mismatched bits.

The hat and epaulets may be a bit much, but I like the legs and torso combo. I can’t think of when else I’ll get to use the dead cat necklace torso piece.

   The use of the Pooh hunny pot is inspired.

Thanks.

   Philistines Reject David - Not a lot here to comment on. In the last pic, David’s men do look fairly depressed. Good head choices.

Thanks, I did try to position each figure so that the most let-down looking faces were visible to the camera.

Looking forward to more comments, should you get the time to leave them. Hope you had a nice Christmas with your burgeoning family.

-Brendan

brick, testament, hietbrink
(score: 2.622)

Re: The Brick Testament - David Makes New Friends
Newsgroups:
lugnet.build.ancient
Date:
Fri, 23 Nov 2007 23:05:23 GMT

Going back to try and cover the stories I missed:

David Acts Insane - I really like the wall behind the Philistine king’s throne. The “drool” is funny as a LEGO joke, though I’m not sure if it’s effective just looking at it as a depiction of the scene. On the cave, I guess I’d rather see the whole thing as brick built rather than half of raised baseplates and half of bricks.

People of Nob Massacred - There’s just something inherently funny about the crowd of priests in their purple turbans. Some good violence depiction here, like the trick with slicing the body in half here and the line of blood down the wall here. Any reason why Doeg switches from two cutlasses to one cutlass and one broadsword?

David Attacks the Philistines - I particularly like this scene. That’s a simple but effective fire. In the battle scene, what is that battle axe in the upper left? Is it an official piece? Having already read later chapters, I appreciate that you’ve got Joab prominently featured from the start.

David’s Strong Men - Some good carnage scenes here, especially Abishai’s pile of bodies. The yellow flags as barley is a clever idea and very effective. The flower stems for the next field also works well. What is that mace that Benaiah is using? Poor lion - first he gets stuck in a cistern, then some crazy guy jumps in to fight him. I’m not sure about the flowers as snow - they seem like flowers to me. Also, how did you do the spear through the body in the last scene? The trick on the arm posing in that scene works really well and looks dynamic.

David Asks for a Drink, Refuses It - Interesting gate here. I like the variation from plate to brick on the underside of the arch, and the pairing of the two different types of arches is something I hadn’t seen before. That wheel makes a good well, and the pouring out of the water is very effective.

brick, testament, hietbrink
(score: 2.615)

Re: The Brick Testament - David, King of Israel
Newsgroups:
lugnet.build.ancient
Date:
Sat, 24 Nov 2007 01:18:16 GMT

In lugnet.build.ancient, Brendan Powell Smith wrote:
   In lugnet.build.ancient, Bruce Hietbrink wrote:

   Hi, Bruce. Your absence really made me appreciate how fortunate I’ve been to have someone so consistently providing detailed and thoughtful comments and questions on each update to The Brick Testament. If you find time to go back and comment on the last few updates, great, but please don’t feel obligated. It’s just great to have you back.

Nice to be appreciated. I’ve started in on my missing commentary.

I kind of imagined them carrying down from Israel to Judah the king-making kit, including the wooden steps and King Saul’s royal robes. David wears the robes ceremonially in this scene to show that he is now the king over all that was once Saul’s. But in the next story he’s got his own royal military garb and his own lounging-about-the-palace outfit once his palace is built.

I was wondering about the green robe. Very well thought-out. Of course, David somehow got several inches taller for the coronation. :)

   If so, the elders from “all the tribes” shouldn’t have matching white arms.

-explanation-

I should have known that this was well planned and not a mistake. Seems like a very sensible plan.

   I’d be curious to hear how you interpret this story, specifically what David says about hating the blind and lame, and the explanation of the common saying. But that best be taken to off.topic.

I really do think it was an insult referring to the Jebusites going back to their taunt. It doesn’t make sense to me otherwise.

This whole
   built-on-a-diagonal thing started because I was trying to solve the perennial problem of trying to make a good pointed arch doorway out of LEGO. I’ve seen it pulled off nicely on a larger scale on some cathedral MOCs, but I have never figured out how to make a decent one on a smaller scale. For this gate, I tried a new strategy (to me at least) or using two half-arch pieces at a 90 degree angle to create something like a pointed arch. If anyone has suggestions on a better way to achieve this feat, or links to a MOC where it’s been done well, please do tell!

Well, I’ve seen someone make gothic arches by cutting arch bricks and putting them together, but that offends my personal building ethic. You can do use two 1x2x3 inverse slopes, two 1x2 inverse slopes, ad two 1x3 inverse slopes, which will give you a shape 8 wide at the base with a point at the top, but it’s not quite the right shape (I did this here, the top half of the right hand doorway, when I was trying to come up with some shapes for Arabic architecture).

   Just as a nitpick to your comments though, the names given in this story are the names of the sons born to David.

D’oh!

   Thanks. I was happy with that shot. I have to admit, I’m getting a little worried about my continued ability to give these endless stories of wars and massacres some personality in my depictions without simply repeating the same old tricks.

Perhaps I should be worried for myself that I continue to appreciate LEGO violence.

   The idea is to get people to see just what an unbelievable amount of the most brutal sorts of violence makes up the bulk of the Old Testament.

I’d disagree with this characterization, but would rather focus on the brick than argue this here.

Heh, I still agree with you, but still don’t have a more reliable solution. Later in this scene I used my other trick where a rubber band laces through the arm holes and holds two normal minifig arms out to the sides. But for that you need both arms out.

You did have a nice optical illusion once where you hid a second figure behind the first and you showed the arm of the second figure. I do wish that the ball joint on a fig arm was a standard size (e.g. bar diameter) so that arms could be more easily incorporated as build elements.

   Thanks. I got inspired to play around with different pieces to find hidden patterns after seeing this vignette on Brothers Brick by one of my favorite builders, Michael Jasper.

I love that scene of Michael’s. Such a clever use of the Two-Face torso.

Bruce

brick, testament, hietbrink
(score: 2.615)

Re: The Brick Testament - David, King of Israel
Newsgroups:
lugnet.build.ancient
Date:
Wed, 21 Nov 2007 15:53:29 GMT

Hey Brendan,

I’ve been meaning to go back and comment on the David/Saul stories before doing this, but am afraid I’ll just get further and further behind. I do intend to go back and do those, but for now:

King me: Not a lot to comment on here. I notice here, and in the following stories, you use a horse barding as a curtain edge. That’s a really clever idea. I think this one would be a really nice curtain. The steps for the guy crowning David is a funny detail. One minor quibble, didn’t you change up the arm colors in previous stories to denote the different tribes? If so, the elders from “all the tribes” shouldn’t have matching white arms.

Blind and lame: Quibble with the name here. It seems obvious from the context that the “blind and lame” is a sarcastic reference to the taunt of the Jebusites, but your title makes it sound like you’re reading it straight. The townscaping with the quarter scale white buildings is nice. I’m not a huge fan of the tan city wall. I appreciate that you’re giving it an interesting texture with those large panel pieces, but there’s something odd about the mixing of the panels with the normal bricks and the 1x1x5 bricks. Maybe (and this is being a really small quibble here) it would look better if the central two columns of bricks in this picture had the 1x1x1 on top of the 1x1x5, rather than the other way around, so that the “brick” portions were matching. Brilliant use of the map tile, and by far my favorite picture is Joab and the soldiers wading through the tunnel. Nice face on Joab and torch solution in that pic, btw. Good action shot on the army bursting out of the well (what are the pieces of that well, btw, some wheel hub?). The gate built on an angle is really nice, and in the last pic there is another good use of a horse barding.

David’s wives and kids: Not much to comment here except that great wide shot of the throne room in the first pic. Putting the throne in the corner there is really nice, and the overall color scheme of the room is striking. I particularly like the alternating rust round posts and tan lion heads, and patterned elements work together really well here. On the rest, it is nice that you altered up the poses a little. Nepheg has some touching interaction with David. Freaky makeup on Eliphelet.

War: As always, good action shots (especially here). Idols before and after burning is nice. Good use of perspective in this scene. Finally, the joke at the end is funny, and the Japanese setting is a really nice MOC in its own right.

Don’t touch the ark: As always, great Ark design, and also the oxen. The wagon seems a little flimsy, but I guess that’s why the Ark almost fell off. I’m not a fan of the brick-built instruments, but that’s always a problem. Photoshopping God onto the Ark is a funny detail. As before, I’m not 100% on the flex tubing as arms solution. The skinny arm seems a little cartoony (I know, odd complaint for a LEGO story).

Over exposure: I really like that detail on Michal’s balcony with those odd Technic wing pieces. The switching the perspective on the two halves of verse 16 is really nice. The shot from above seems like it would have been a difficult photoshoot to get right (or is it photoshop trickery?). I’m not a huge fan of the tent, but oh well. That detail with the repeated hinge bricks in Michal’s room is outstanding. The last scene of David leaving with the slave girls is funny. I think he’s losing his loincloth there, btw.

Bruce

brick, testament, hietbrink
(score: 2.614)

Re: The Brick Testament - David, King of Israel
Newsgroups:
lugnet.build.ancient
Date:
Wed, 21 Nov 2007 15:53:01 GMT

[...]