 Trains / Train Organizations / NCLTC / * (-5)
Subject:
2009 LEGOPalooza at Morehead Planetarium
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains.org.ncltc, lugnet.events, lugnet.loc.us.nc, lugnet.org.us.nclug
Date:
Wed, 28 Jan 2009 20:49:43 GMT
Highlighted:
(details)

On Saturday January 31st and Sunday February 1st, NCLUG and NCLTC will exhibit
at the 5th annual LEGOPalooza at the Morehead Planetarium in Chapel Hill, North
Carolina.

This is a free event.  The event will run from 11-4 on Saturday and from 1-4 on
Sunday.  If you are in the area, please plan to stop by.  More details can be
found on the NCLUG web site at:  <http://www.nclug.us>

Show Flyer:
<http://www.nclug.us/wp-content/uploads/2009/01/the_5th_annual_legopalooza_v2.pdf>

Hope to see you there!

Mike

--
mike underscore walsh at mindspring dot com

Event Report: LEGOPalooza, Morrhead Plaetarium, Chapel Hill, NC
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.us.nc, lugnet.org.us.nclug, lugnet.trains.org.ncltc, lugnet.general, lugnet.events, lugnet.robotics
Date:
Mon, 5 Feb 2007 06:07:36 GMT

Hi all,

as announced previously, NCLUG was the host of LEGOPalooza this weekend at Morehead Planetarium. This year, the event was expanded to 2 days, and was earlier in the year compared to previous paloozas.

This time, we had a Star Wars display with sets from Sabrina and Signe Gravatt and customs by Gareth Bowler:

a Harry Potter display by Jennifer Joy Poole:

a Batman display by Taylor Poole:

a town layout by Joe Evangelista, Mike Walsh and Joe Meno

Joe E:

Mike Walsh:

a castle display by Cyndi Bradham:

a retro town layout by Carin and Jane Proctor:

a heliport by Team Joe:

and an NXT demo/display by me:

There were also displays by Ian Brusso (Technic), David Winegar (Space) and Gupreet Jawa (Castle).

There also was a building zone:

Attendance was about 1300 for the event - 700 on Saturday and 600 on Sunday.

So how was it?

It was a lot of fun! Having way too many events for my good, I can say that I really enjoyed doing this one because I did a live demo and did some true interaction - the NXT models were from instructions and progras that Philippe Hurbain posted last week The spy bot was perfect for the event, as it was small, easy to repair (they did fall off the table), and used one set each, which was really nice to talk about the sets.

I also had a joystick built, but for the fast pace of the event, I wasn’t able to use it, so by Sunday it was converted to another NXT spy bot. Also the joystick was stuck to interaction with one person, while the spybots could interact with anyone it happened to ‘see’.

There were a lot of questions about the NXT, and I had my laptop running to show the program for the bots. And the general reaction from the kids was summed up by this:

Gallery is here after moderation:

We also got media coverage from a local TV station (NBC17) and two local papers.

Many thanks to all those who participated, and also to Karen Kornegay and the staff of Morehead Planetarium - it’s always fun to do a show, and this has become the event I look forward to the most!

Yep, it’s blurry, but it summed up how I felt - this rocked!

Joe Meno
Administrator, NCLUG

Subject:
NCLUG Show / LEGOPalooza at Morehead Planatarium in Chapel Hill
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.us.nc, lugnet.org.us.nclug, lugnet.trains.org.ncltc, lugnet.announce
Date:
Sat, 3 Feb 2007 11:13:04 GMT

On February 3rd and 4th NCLUG in cooperation with the Morehead Planatarium
at the University of North Carlina Chapel Hill hosts LEGO Palooza.  The 3rd
LEGO Palooza expands to a 2 day event running from 12-4 both Saturday and
Sunday.  This year the display exhibits expand from Space themed to all
themes.  Al particular interest are large Castle, Star Wars and Town
layouts.  NCLTC will have a small train layout on display.  There is also a
large collection of bricks for kids and adults to build with.

For more information and directions, visit the Morehead Planatarium web
site:

http://www.moreheadplanetarium.org/index.cfm?fuseaction=news_item&id=371

Admission is free.

Mike Walsh - mike_walsh at mindspring.com
http://blog.carolinatrainbuilders.com - My LEGO Blog

Re: What has become of NCLTC?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.us.nc, lugnet.org.us.nclug, lugnet.trains.org.ncltc
Date:
Wed, 18 Oct 2006 14:33:41 GMT

"Jordan Schwarz" <jbschwarz@ThisIsReallygmail.com> wrote in message
Hi all,

I've noticed a lack of activity regarding the NC LEGO Train Club and
wanted to
find out whether it still meets and if not, whether there are individuals
interested in restarting the club.

I should add that, one goal of my query is to encourage local train fans
to join
the Save 9V Trains movement (joining is free, but we want more
participating
members), <http://save.9vtrains.com>, in addition to evaluating if there
is
still interest in NCLTC.

Thanks!
Jordan

NCLTC is still alive and well although not very active.  With GATS falling
apart there isn't a regular train show coming to Raleigh any more.  The one
regular show  in this area is run by the Neuse River Valley Model Railroad
Club (http://www.nrvmrrc.org/) and it is held the first weekend in November.
Unfortunately this is a weekend which I have a family commitment and this
year is no different.

We are however, gettting ready to set up our layout for a 2-3 month stint at
South Hills Mall as part of their Holiday display.  We are just in the
planning stage so if anyone is interested in participating in this layout,
please contact me so I can add you to the planning mailing list.  We have
plenty of room this time in the space SHM has given us.  There is more
information on the NCLTC web site at:  http://www.ncltc.cc

The bulk of the NCLTC (and NCLUG too) communication is handled via two Yahoo
Groups (one for each).  If you want to participate in either, see these
links:

Regarding your solicatation for new members for the 9V Trains forum, the
train community seems to be quite content with LUGNET.trains.  This is one
of the reasons ILTCO has never set up discussion forums.

Mike

Mike Walsh - mike_walsh at mindspring.com

Subject:
NCLTC @ Raleigh GATS April 24-25
Newsgroups:
lugnet.events, lugnet.loc.us.nc, lugnet.org.us.nclug, lugnet.trains.org.ncltc, lugnet.trains, lugnet.trains.org
Date:
Wed, 21 Apr 2004 02:25:14 GMT

On April 24th and 25th the North Carolina LEGO® Train Club (NCLTC) will be
participating in the Great American Train Show (GATS) at the Jim Graham
Building at the NC State Fairgrounds in Raleigh, North Carolina.

The NCLTC train layout is constructed entirely of LEGO® bricks. The layout
is approximately 25' long and 15' wide and will have five trains operating
simultaneously. In addition to the layout, NCLTC will have a play area where
kids can build with a large pile of LEGO® bricks and run a LEGO® train.

NCLTC will be collecting canned food on behalf of the Food Bank of North
Carolina. Each person who makes a donation of two cans of food will have an
opportunity to win a LEGO® train set we are giving away. In 2003 NCLTC
collected almost 500 pounds of food and $250 for the Food Bank of North
Carolina.

More information about NCLTC and the event itself along with pictures from
previous events can be found on the NCLTC web site: http://www.ncltc.cc

If you are in the area, stop by and say hi!

Mike

FUT:  lugnet.trains.org.ncltc, lugnet.loc.us.nc

Mike Walsh - mike_walsh at mindspring.com

Redisplay Messages:  Brief | Compact