 Trains / Train Organizations / 2536
Re: Pictures from the NGLTC display at the November Greenberg show
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains.org
Date:
Wed, 5 Nov 2003 06:14:58 GMT
Highlighted:
(details)

In lugnet.trains.org, James Trobaugh wrote:
In lugnet.trains.org, John Gerlach wrote:
In lugnet.trains, James Trobaugh wrote:
Here are some pictures from the November Greenberg show in Atlanta this weekend.
Pics at the NGLTC web site:
http://www.ngltc.org/gallery/thumb.asp?Folder=50-greenberg-2003

or at Brickself (once moderated):

Who built this beauty?
http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/thinice/GrnbrgNov2003/dsc00061.jpg
http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/thinice/GrnbrgNov2003/dsc00062.jpg
http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/thinice/GrnbrgNov2003/dsc00063.jpg
http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/thinice/GrnbrgNov2003/dsc00064.jpg

Does it run?

John Warren built that engine, it is very impressive. It does run but I think
there were a few issues with the bridges on the layout, so they will have to be
adjusted to allow this engine to fit with out jamming up.

Ahem..........I'm sorry James, but I simplely have to step in here and correct
this last comment.  Does it run?

Heck, yeah it runs!  She's a runner on any track with a full head of steam!  We ran her for about a full hour before the motor finally overheated.  And yes, it went through all the bridges with no problems. It's not that wide, James. :)  Funny how James always seems to wonder away from the layout when any of my four steam locomotives take over.  :^D   Honestly, James does have an excuse this time.  He was over supervising the rail racers the whole time we were running my big steamer.  So he missed it.

Now for a little info about this locomotive.  What you are looking at is a
Northfolk & Western Class A 2-6-6-4 built exclusively by and for N&W during the
late 30's and early 40's.  My model is 8-wide and can navigate through any
curvey track as long as the elevation stays roughly the same.  Larry, the large
drive wheels are modified playmobil wheels.  I have been using this techinique
on most of my locomotives for several years now.  (see pictures of my other locs
at the NGLTC site)  I borrowed this technique years ago from my good friend Ben
Beneke.  Another bonus about this locomotive is it comes complete with whistle
sound effects as well as syncronized steam chuffing. (the chuffing comes from an
attached mail car I built and attach to all my steamers)  It took me about a
month to build this engine and one overhaul on the trucks to get it to run
smoothly. My next plan is to install LED lights on the front and back and figure
out how to add drive rods.  I wish I could show you some pictures but I dont
have a good camera off hand.  Maybe James can take some at our next show.

One other side note.  When not touring my N&W class A resides on my fireplace
mantle.

I Hope this answers some of your questions.  And thanks alot for the
complements and inspirations from all of the lego steam locomotive builders out
there.

John Warren
  NGLTC