 Trains / 8451
8450  |  8452
Subject:
motorized points - beating a dead horse
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains, lugnet.robotics
Date:
Thu, 30 Nov 2000 23:03:56 GMT

Hi All,
Currently I am attempting to build an automated hump yard. The main problem
I'm tackling is the RCX controlled motorized points. I've spent 7 hours over
the last two days trying to build a motorized switch track that will run
forever with out ripping itself off the base plates and be very *forgiving*
at the edges of both states, turn or straight. What I mean by forgiving is
that the motor doesn't burn up or the gears do not get stripped off.

I like really simple and elegant solutions. For instance I would like to be
CPU switched with no feedback, again forgiving at the edges of both states
such that the motor can spin for 1.5 secs and not reap havoc. Hanging
elaborate clutch systems with differentials and angle sensors would not be
my first choice. Of course beggers can't be choosers.

Yes I have tried a bunch of slip gear configurations and the 2.5N/cm doesn't
seem to over come the internal detent.

Yes I looked at several designs on the web, I could have missed something.

After at least 10 iterations I am still staring at a desktop full
of disassembled bricks.

Any ideas? Help?
SteveB
PNLTC