 Trains / 7086
Re: Wheel Car
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Sun, 27 Aug 2000 23:07:08 GMT

Depending on vintage, skip the wheel car and make a car that has trucks on it
instead. What they take to wrecks nowadays are complete trucks. Since the cars
sit on the trucks by friction, they put the trucks down and then lower the
derailed car down onto the trucks. A truck car will have most standard sizes
of trucks on it, or they'll load up based on what the wreck report is.

This is often done slowly, on track specially laid (from prefab brought on a
special car) for the purpose. It won't be done as a part of the initial wreck
clearing operation when speed is paramount, getting the line opened takes
precedence over retrieving a few cars.

Ha! The great Larry makes a Misteak...the trucks are mounted to the bolster
using a pin!...it just happens to be the weakest part of the whole lot, so it
breaks, and the trucks tend to get bashed up a lot (and are relatively easy to
move around, say compared with a boxcar)...so, you put a new set of trucks
under a badly worn boxcar, and drag it to wherever you can cut it up (the
boxcar)...after all, the cost of moving the car is normaly not worth what it
costs to fix the damage.