 Trains / 5919
Re: Reference Photos
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains, lugnet.trains.org
Date:
Fri, 19 May 2000 19:52:30 GMT

Christopher Tracey wrote:

John Neal wrote:
Two questions, Chris:

1. Why did playing with N scale trains induce 8 wide envy, and..

I was just standing there, coupling some cars together and it 8 wide envy just came
over me...  maybe it was an epiphany :)  Actually, there were three factors that might
have won me over:
        a. a appreciation of how far the car overhangs the width of the trucks.
        b. the detail that was on the n-scale models compared to what can be done
           on a six wide.  8 wide seems like a good compromise.
        c. I would like to have features like steps/ladders that extend below the
           trucks.  This is difficult in 6 wides, I think it might be easier
           using eights.

b. Why is that unfortunate?  I'd say fortune and enlightenment have smiled upon
you;-)

It's only unfortunate because there's a WAMALUG show in two weeks and I want to
rebuild my stuff.  There's also the issue of increased cost.  It might make
more sense if you think 'unfortunate' as in what Yoda says about Luke's rushing
off to confront Vader without the proper training.  :)

Anyhow... I won't be able to start building 8wide till after I move to OH in August.

Ohio?!!  According to the LUGNET LTC map, that would put you in the boundaries of the
GMLTC{:^D  Good thing you're making the switch-- this here's 8 wide territory;-)

-John

-Chris