 Trains / 5858
Re: Chessie Steamer
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Mon, 15 May 2000 02:24:58 GMT

I did put 8 wide in the folder description but it kind of gets lost at the
top of the screen. The width of 8 wide really helped the train look a lot
better than what I could create in six wide, which leads to the whole 8 vs.
6 discussion but I digress.
    I shortened the cars mostly due to the fact that I cannot stand when
longer cars that round the standard track circle hang way over the inside of
the track. To solve, or at least alleviate, this issue I did a couple of
things. One, I kept the overall length to a limit. Obviously the shorter the
car the less the overhang. Second, I didn't use the traditional magnetic
coupling attached to the truck method. Instead I made them separate
assemblies. By moving the trucks (I hope that is the right train term for
the wheels assembly) closer to the center of the car, I was able to keep the
car closer to the center of the track. Which as you might be able to imagine
causes a slight issue with how to attach the couplings. They are situated on
a 2x2 turntable which is on a 2x8 plate. That 2x8 plate is suspended from
the bottom of the car with 2x2 bricks and it works great. It is interesting
to watch these cars round a corner because they come so close that only a
piece of paper could fit between them, and they never touch. As for the
engine it is articulated upon three rotating points. While the engine hangs
slightly over the side of the track it is not nearly as noticeable as what I
had occur during my initial attempts.
    From what I have seen the Chessie's color scheme is much closer to
yellow than orange. If you take a look in the reference doc associated with
the train you will see several images of the train cars I was modeling. (See
this for example:
http://www.chessiesystem.org/index.html/photoarchives/2101elkton78.jpg My
version can be seen here:
http://www.chessiesystem.org/index.html/photoarchives/2101elkton78.jpg )  I
think that doing these in orange would be way wrong unless you mean the red
in which case it may just be matter of opinion.
    Thanks for the kind words. I have a Chessie diesel engine I need to post
as well. That should be online in just a day or two. I guess it's on to the
next one...

-Nick

John Neal <johnneal@uswest.net> wrote in message
Excellent work, Nick!  Welcome to the dark side;-)  Nick, of course, • failed to
mention that his new train is 8 wide:-)  I noticed that you did some • selective
shortening of your passenger cars.  Was this because you experienced • magnet
holding problems, or brick shortage problems (;) or what?  I ask because I • was
forced to abandon the magnets on my Hiawatha passenger train because they • weren't
strong enough to hold the train together and wondered if this was your • experience
as well.

The color scheme using the yellow windows looks really nice.  Your dome • car and
passenger car, however, scream "Union Pacific" to me (Or even Milwaukee • Road's
Hiawatha during a time when they went with UP colors).  The loco, of • course, is
all Chessie.  But perhaps now you will have to start hoarding orange to • get
genuine Chessie look;-)

Now you have earned the right to join in the chorus "TLC?..Drivers, • please"  Way
to Go:-)

-John

Nick Goetz wrote:

Well it has been a long time coming but this is my first real project to • share
with the group. It isn't 100% complete, although the final pieces are on • their
way here. A big THANKS to all of the people who were willing to swap • much
needed part to complete this project.

http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?m=NickGoetz

Look in the reference .txt file to see the actual images I used to • create my
model.

-Nick