 Trains / 4167
Re: Too Much Track
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Sat, 12 Feb 2000 01:34:41 GMT

Thanks to both you and Frank for your help.

I had already suspected that the turnouts had a much greater resistance
(seemed to be common sense, and experimentation proved it out), but I think
I also had a fundamental flaw in my layout.  My longest section was
connected to the main line only by two crossovers, and it was always in this
section that the trains slowed to an eventual stop.  I wouldn't think that
the crossovers would have that high a resistance, but after rearranging the
layout to eliminate those, and adding a second power connection to the
"interior" loop, things are running smoothly once again.

--
William A. Swanberg
CPT, SC

"James Powell" <wx732@freenet.victoria.bc.ca> wrote in message
In lugnet.trains, William A. Swanberg writes:
I have a question that I know one of you train heads out there can • answer.

I recently purchased some additional track to expand my layout, and found
that the resistance of the track quickly overcame the voltage of the
transformer.  Does anyone have any stats concerning the longest length of
track that you can have without adding a second transformer?

Around 200 pieces is the max outward from a connector.  I try to limit • myself
to 100 pieces (straight/curve, the points have _way_ more resistance), and • it
seems to work OK at that.

You cannot add a 2nd transformer unless you separate the track into • sections
(sectional control in Model RR terms).  You can, however, make a cord that
takes power from the connector/powerpack to the other side of the layout, • then
add a 2nd connector.  This works quite well, just realize that you may • have to
turn the connection by 180 degrees if you introduce a short circuit (the • train
won't run until you do so, and the green power light will be very dim, • just try
turning the connector 90 degrees a side, and then it should work)

James P