 Trains / 3930
3929  |  3931
Subject:
Track electrical resistance
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Sun, 30 Jan 2000 14:45:37 GMT

Hi everyone,

Yesterday I did some experiment with a spiral consisting of 75 straight and 48
curved rails. I also test the switch and the new + crossing rail. Following are
the results.

1. The electrical resistance of one side of a straight or curved segment is
about 0.031ohm +-0.001

2. The resistance of a crossing segment is 0.05 ohm +-0.01

3. The resistance of a switches are
3.1. Outside straight 0.2 Ohm
3.2.  Inside straight vary from 8 ohm to around 20ohm mostly due to the
switching mechanism
3.3. inside switched rail vary from 5 to around 20 ohm for the same reason
3.4. Outside switched 0.2ohm

4. Then I use 1 motor with load, regulator at speed #3. The motor was pulling
0.1A at the regulator end and that amount was reduced to 0.09 at the far end.
Voltage at the end of the track went from 5.0V to 4.5V resulting in a 20% (0.1W
out of 0.5W) decreased power and slower speed especially in corner.

5. The internal resistance of the regulator and the wire from regulator to
track together is 2ohm (I check 3 regulator with the same wire)

Even if I didn't use a rigid scientific method these results are quite accurate
(didn't want to solder wire to the rail :-( )

Also, I found in a box of track that I order in December just before S@H Canada
close a straight track with only one conducting plate.

Martin