 Trains / 30869
Re: Wanted: Picture of LEGO SF GP-38 Loco “Warbonnet� design.
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Mon, 15 Jun 2009 04:38:18 GMT

In lugnet.trains, Mathew Clayson wrote:

Mark,
I did pretty much the same thing. The model that Russell pointed out was the
first thing I built after coming out of my dark age, and my first real train
MOC. If I were to do it again, I might use the nose from the Alaska engine that
Bruce pointed out. I'd use dark gray for the upper grills instead of black, and
add more lower doors and grills. And perhaps rebuild the cab like this
<http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?f=336889>.

I'd started with the model in Jake's book, this was before the BNSF kit was
introduced. But wasn't quite happy with the proportions, most LEGO builds,
including the BNSF model make the front intake bump(left side behind the cab) 4
studs wide, I prefer 3. and I wanted the challenge of doing the yellow and blue
scheme.

There are some exelent photos on the Internet
<http://www.trainpix.com/ATSF/EMDORIG/GP38/> I've also scince discovered
railfans paintshop
<http://paintshop.railfan.net/images/moldover/gp38_ls-pf.html>

The ATSF engines used box type paper air filter inserts, just forward of the
front fan, which I represented with tiles. And they have air tanks above the
fuel tank.

Mathew Clayson
BayLTC

Oh, I almost forgot to mention, your MOC looks absolutely incredible!!!
Mark