 Trains / 30197
30196  |  30198
Subject:
Custom Minifig Torso DAT files.
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains, lugnet.cad.dat.parts
Date:
Sun, 6 Apr 2008 15:54:36 GMT
Highlighted:
! (details)

I have been working at creating some custom Minifig Torso DAT files for LDraw. I should preface everything by saying that I am NOT an LDraw Parts author. All of these were created by essentially taking a plain torso file and applying these like a “Sticker”. Each Sticker is placed a few fractions of an LDU from the surface of the part. This does create some minor viewing issues in MLCad but as you can see by this image they render in POV-Ray quite well.

Obviously I have done the Trains-and-Town logo’s, RailBricks, and ILTCO logos. For the RailBricks and ILTCO logos I did get permission to host these.

If you are interested in any of the DAT files you can find them in this Gallery...

http://www.trains-n-town.com/mediagallery/album.php?aid=23&page=1

The Trains-n-Town files are in the Root and the other files are in appropriate subdirectories. If you do use them please let me know if you have any issues.

For more information on why I decided to try this you can read this post...

http://www.trains-n-town.com/forum/viewtopic.php?showtopic=190

I may try a few more but they are a challenge. While I do use a Bitmap -> DAT tool it does not render colors very well so much effort has to be taken to clean up files. If I do more of these they will be posted in the same gallery.

I did attempt to integrate these into parts with Quadrilaterals but it was a significant struggle for me hence the “Sticker” solution. The tool I used (LDraw Design Pad) does offer an option to fit an image within a Quadrilateral but I found that useing that option distorted the image, probably because the Torso Quadrilateral is not a rectangle?

If anyone in the LDraw community has tips on integrating images into a Quadrilateral I would love to here them.

Enjoy,

-Eric