 Trains / 30062

Subject:
4-6-0 Olton Hall (5972)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Sun, 24 Feb 2008 09:56:48 GMT

My son was given the Hogwarts Lego train a few years ago which I added the 9 volt wheels to. I built up some extra coaches and it has done hundreds of laps around my layouts. I even made some movies featuring it in 2006 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0iyp83UX0lo 2005 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J_Pp7weKQ60 & 2007 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3HLzrsc1D9c

(Or visit Bodville website for high quality movies) http://home.netspeed.com.au/mephisto/bodville/default.html

But it never looked quite right. It seems just about everyone has redesigned this set so I wanted to also try my hand at it. But it wasn’t until I bought some of the 1/2 price hobby train from shop@home that I really got motivated.

Apart from Ben’s awesome shunter (#9) the other models I wanted to build from hobby train were the coaches (#10), the doors are fantastic. From the 2 hobby sets I managed to build 3 new coaches that came out really well. But it’s all fire engine red (like the Olton Hall) Not dark red like the real Hogwarts (I have only about a dozen pieces of Lego in that colour)

In fact they came out so good the standard (http://www.brickset.com/detail.aspx?Set=4708-1) Hogwarts express looked silly pulling them. So I found some reference of the Olton Hall on the web (1st time I have ever modelled from photo’s) and built a few versions.

The pistons were the most difficult part, there is not much room at 6-wide. Over about two weeks, I built some 4 versions and reach my goal of making this steam train able to run at full speed pulling my new coaches around the tight lego radius. The entire boiler section pops off easily so I could test the wheel configuration separately.

I have only taken a few pictures of the Loco before the re-chargeables in the camera failed. So I’ll post some more including the coaches at a later time.

The coal tender has a boggie at the rear to allow for the longer wheel base to run fast without derailment.

Here’s all of them via brickshelf link:

http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/pe668/Bodville/Mocs/100_5101.jpg http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/pe668/Bodville/Mocs/100_5153.jpg http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/pe668/Bodville/Mocs/100_5152.jpg http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/pe668/Bodville/Mocs/100_5145.jpg http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/pe668/Bodville/Mocs/100_5093.jpg http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/pe668/Bodville/Mocs/100_5113.jpg

Re: 4-6-0 Olton Hall (5972)
[...]

I love it! Stacy and I are planning to build one of these for Brickworld 2008 to go with her Harry Potter setup. The BBB’s drivers really set this one off and I like the way you did the boiler. Everything in this MOC looks to scale and really captures the beauty of the Olton Hall 4-6-0 (aka Hogwarts Express). I may have to (ahem) “borrow” a few of your construction technique when I build mine. :-) Nice work!

-Dave

Re: 4-6-0 Olton Hall (5972)