 Trains / 29084
Re: monorail maintenance?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Sun, 22 Apr 2007 02:18:34 GMT

In lugnet.trains, Felix Greco wrote:
   I’m coming into the monorail world late and have been acquiring track and parts on Bricklink. I have two motors and both seem to run very slowly. They really seem to labor going up-hill.

I haven’t run the engines enough to believe I might have burnt them out. All my metal to metal contacts appear to be clean. My batteries are new. Can anyone offer me some advice? Are there any steps I can take to clean the engine and make it more efficient?

Firstly, how heavy is your train? You’ve got a battery-powered, gear-driven drive system that doesn’t run very fast under the best conditions, so unless you strip it down to the bare essentials (one sled, one motor, one battery box, and just enough lightweight parts to make it look vaguely train-like). I made a monster 6-wide, brick-built double-cabbed monorail train that uses two battery boxes (one for the motor, one for the cab running lights) and I eventually gave up on 9v batteries and dropped some cash on 9.6v NiMH rechargables in a 9v-shaped package. For construction, panels are your best friend, and running lights off the same battery will definitely shorten its runtime.

Second, what batteries are you using? I was once pointed towards Big Lots because you can get two 9v alkalines for $0.99, but about every third battery seemed like it was a dud, and the “good” ones were severely underpowered. If you really want to get the most powerful batteries, you can buy Lithium (not Lithium-Ion), but last I checked they ran about $10 each. Brand-name alkalines are probably going to give you the best bang for your buck out of non-rechargables, but they’ll still get pricy. Rechargables are nice for going low-cost, but standard rechargable cells only pack 1.2v compared to an alkaline’s 1.5v, which means that building a 6-cell “9v” rechargable would provide a highly insufficient 7.2v of power. Most rechargable manufacturers actually build them as a 7-cell construction, which boosts that to 8.4v, but it’s still running a bit light, on top of the fact that to get the extra cell in there you have to make them all that much smaller, which reduces the mAH rating of the battery (i.e. it runs out of juice faster). And yes, that means that my 9.6v rechargables will get even less runtime with an 8-cell construction, but I’m okay with that because I can finally actually see the lights through three layers of trans-red for two hours minimum (as compared to sorta seeing them for two minutes tops), and I’m getting about five hours of drive time on a level run with a monorail train that’s probably around 75% heavier than I ever should have made it. And there was actually a time where I was entertaining the thought of buying some ~11v Li-Ion non-standard packs that would have required extensive rebuilding to accomodate, but that would have run me about $200 just for two packs and a charger, plus I would have needed to customize some wire adapters to convert from the 4-stud 9v connector to the polarized nylon clips on the battery packs. Part of the reason I didn’t was that I was worried about not knowing just how much power the motor could handle (plus I figured I’d burn the lights out regularly).