 Trains / 28748
Re: MOC Trains Cars and Buildings
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Tue, 27 Feb 2007 03:05:34 GMT

In lugnet.trains, Jason J Railton wrote:
   In lugnet.trains, Jordan Schwarz wrote:
   Hi Michael,

Jason’s suggestions are excellent ones. I think I’ve heard that the new Factory train box will debut on March 19 for $100, so you haven’t much longer to wait.

Interestingly, when the train wagon bottom kit was available in the US, it was $15, and a complete passenger car, still available, is $20: http://shop.lego.com/ByTheme/Product.aspx?p=10015&cn=377&d=328

As for instructions, the Factory train box will have plenty of those, though as I understand it, you may have to view them using a computer.

A good point, I forgot to mention sources of instructions.

Jacob (Jake) McKee’s ‘Bricks on the Brain’ Instructions Portal was a good source, but it seems to be experiencing problems at the moment. Here’s a direct link to a livestock wagon I added to it:Â
Though you might have to change the colour as sand-red is a little hard to come by nowadays.

You can also raid LEGO Factory for models. For example, here is my directory with a tan hopper wagon:Â
http://factory.lego.com/gallery/?parameters=2||3497a7c5-83b0-8663-2302-f409c6b6e06bÂ
I prefer to build mine in dark grey, but this was what was all that was possible with the selection of parts in LEGO Factory.

If you go to LEGO’s website for trains, you’ll find more designs highlighted:Â
http://factory.lego.com/trains/

If you download and install the LEGO Factory designer software, you can then download any of the Factory models and view them in building steps, without having to buy anything. It can be hard to find good designs just by looking through LEGO’s Factory pages, so there’s a catalogue of the best ones submitted by AFOLs here:Â
http://save.9vtrains.com/mediagallery/album.php?aid=13&page=1

By the way, those ‘My-Own-Train’ wagon sets Jordan was referring to had a 24-stud train base, a little shorter than the 28-stud bases in the wagon base pack. You could also buy any remaining Santa-Fe coaches, with a dark grey base and grey wheels, or the 10173 (Christmas) Holiday train. This has red bases, and is good value for the money.

Jason R

Thanks guys I really appreciate the links and info, I have downloaded a lot of info. I probably should have mentioned I have started my “Set” with an RC train the cargo train to be specific, In hind site this may not have been the best bet but I will work with it. I do believe there is some potential with the RC trains and I do like the idea of the seperate controller for each train.

Thanks again for the help and the links.