 Trains / 28729
Subject:
6 wide Cab Forward 4-8-8-4 Steam Loco
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Sat, 24 Feb 2007 19:16:45 GMT
Highlighted:
! (details)

Here is my version of a Cab Forward 4-8-8-4.

My goal was to make a 6 wide one with working pistons and rods. Hopefully it
would go around our BayLTC Layouts and maybe through points. Our tracks run four
studs from the sneeze guards and eight studs apart. After trying several pivot
points I succeeded in running the engine around a Lego curve without hitting the
sneeze guards or a train on the inner track. It also would go thru a point
without derailing. Making the cab, boiler, and tender followed. I rebuilt the
cab three times.

Some of the building ideas or inspirations came from James Mathis. Not fastening
the drive wheels to the body came from an early loco (2003) of Steve Barile's
(before Big Ben's Bricks Wheels). Design of pistons, rods, and cylinders are
from Big Ben's Bricks.
Some deep links are:

Here is where I removed some of the snot to show detail

Brickshelf folder is:

Please feel free to comment on it.
Thanks,
Bruce Chamberlain

Member BayLTC and BayLUG

Re: 6 wide Cab Forward 4-8-8-4 Steam Loco
In lugnet.trains, Bruce S. Chamberlain wrote:
Here is my version of a Cab Forward 4-8-8-4.

My goal was to make a 6 wide one with working pistons and rods. Hopefully it
would go around our BayLTC Layouts and maybe through points. Our tracks run four
studs from the sneeze guards and eight studs apart. After trying several pivot
points I succeeded in running the engine around a Lego curve without hitting the
sneeze guards or a train on the inner track. It also would go thru a point
without derailing. Making the cab, boiler, and tender followed. I rebuilt the
cab three times.

This is truly a stunning achievement.  I saw a preliminary version of this a
couple of weeks ago and was quite amazed.  I'm looking forward to seeing it run
around the track at a show.

Spotlighted.

--Bill.

Re: 6 wide Cab Forward 4-8-8-4 Steam Loco