 Trains / 27855
Subject:
Building the Christmas Train 2006: Set 10173 - brief report & pics
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Mon, 25 Sep 2006 12:32:15 GMT

I start with my conclusion:
If you look for a very nice Christmas present, for yourself or for your kids: go
buy this Christmas Train!!!

I could not resist to buy this nice set at the Brand Store in
Oberhausen-Germany. I build it, and made some pics.

Highlights:
- a huge pile of parts; 915 pcs, 208 different.
- a very nice selection of parts, also suitable for many MOC's
- 7 Minifigs, mostly combinations of excisting parts.
- I think, really value for money.
- After unpacking on Christmas Day: you won't have time for family-fun anymore
:-)
- hours and hours of building fun!
- it's LONG: 115 cm/45,28 inches
- NO bad/missing parts. No discolored parts!
- improved train wheels, rolling very well. Easy assembling.
- it's a push along train, no instructions for adding a 9V motor

Oh well, just check it out:
http://www.maj.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?f=124190

I've uploaded the Inventory on BL. Not confirmed yet, but I know it's correct.   :-)

Kind regards,
Klaas - Netherlands

Re: Building the Christmas Train 2006: Set 10173 - brief report & pics
In lugnet.trains, Klaas H. Meijaard wrote:
I start with my conclusion:
If you look for a very nice Christmas present, for yourself or for your kids: go
buy this Christmas Train!!!

I could not resist to buy this nice set at the Brand Store in
Oberhausen-Germany. I build it, and made some pics.

I'm unclear on whether the 10173 Christmas Train set will become available to
the general public later this fall via Shop at Home.  Does anyone have
authoritative information regarding this?

Thanks,
Jordan

[...]

Question for the general train set builder...

I only own a few train sets, but this was something that surprised me...

(from Klaas Meijaard photo set)

http://www.maj.com/gallery/Greenman/ChristmasTrain10173/christmastrain_10173-03.jpg

Have other sets come with the metal rod that mounts onto the train wheels as separate pieces? In my limited amount of train sets, I have yet to see this, and found it very curious.

Janey “Red Brick”

In lugnet.trains, C. L. GunningCook wrote:
   In lugnet.trains, Klaas H. Meijaard wrote:
   I start with my conclusion: If you look for a very nice Christmas present, for yourself or for your kids: go buy this Christmas Train!!!

I could not resist to buy this nice set at the Brand Store in Oberhausen-Germany. I build it, and made some pics.

Snip

Question for the general train set builder...

I only own a few train sets, but this was something that surprised me...

(from Klaas Meijaard photo set)

http://www.maj.com/gallery/Greenman/ChristmasTrain10173/christmastrain_10173-03.jpg

Have other sets come with the metal rod that mounts onto the train wheels as separate pieces? In my limited amount of train sets, I have yet to see this, and found it very curious.

Janey “Red Brick”

The wheel sets in the train factory and the new IR train sets are the same. This is the new wheel set for Lego trains.

Bruce

In lugnet.trains, Bruce S. Chamberlain wrote:
   In lugnet.trains, C. L. GunningCook wrote:

Snip

   Have other sets come with the metal rod that mounts onto the train wheels as separate pieces?

   The wheel sets in the train factory and the new IR train sets are the same. This is the new wheel set for Lego trains.

Bruce

Oh okay, thanks for the quick reply, I was not aware of that.

Janey “Red Brick”

[...]

Thanks for the pictures - it looks like a nice set. UK Shop-at-Home lists it as “Coming Soon on 27 Nov 2006”, for £50.

How well does the triple wheel set on the engine take corners and points?

With this picture though, I can’t help thinking:
Show me the bunny!
Doesn’t Easter seem to come earlier every year? :-)

Jason R

Re: Building the Christmas Train 2006: Set 10173 - brief report & pics
In lugnet.trains, Klaas H. Meijaard wrote:
I start with my conclusion:
If you look for a very nice Christmas present, for yourself or for your kids: go
buy this Christmas Train!!!

I could not resist to buy this nice set at the Brand Store in
Oberhausen-Germany. I build it, and made some pics.

I'm unclear on whether the 10173 Christmas Train set will become available to
the general public later this fall via Shop at Home.  Does anyone have
authoritative information regarding this?

I guess it should reach *every* european countries soon as the sets available
thru SaH for France. Eric Borrega from FreeLUG has shot some pictures :

7898 : http://photos.freelug.org/main.php/v/chatpin/7898/

7897 : http://photos.freelug.org/main.php/v/chatpin/7897/

Didier

Thanks,
Jordan

In lugnet.trains, Jason J. Railton wrote:
   How well does the triple wheel set on the engine take corners and points?

With this picture though, I can’t help thinking:
Show me the bunny!
Doesn’t Easter seem to come earlier every year? :-)

Jason R.

:-) :-) I guess it’s supposed to be an alternative for the well known toy-bear. A toy-Christmas-bunny. :-) About the triple wheels: I haven’t tried that yet, I was fully occupied with building, inventoring, making postings in 3 languages etc. Tonight I’ll build a 9V motor on the engine, just to see how many parts you have to add/exchange. I’ll be back with some pics.

Klaas

Re: Building the Christmas Train 2006: Set 10173 - brief report & pics
   How well does the triple wheel set on the engine take corners and points?

I haven’t tried it with this set, but I did try a six-wheeled version of the locomotive from 4563. It worked fine, as long as the wheels were one set right after the other. If there is any additional spacing between, one runs into problems as soon as the locomotive enters a curve.

Of course, builders have various tricks for getting around this. Some use sliding wheels, and BBB offers blind drivers for the purpose of making 6+ wheeled trucks.

-Jordan

Re: Building the Christmas Train 2006: Set 10173 - brief report & pics
In lugnet.trains, Jason J. Railton wrote:
   How well does the triple wheel set on the engine take corners and points?

Like Jordan I found that triple wheel sets work fine as long as the wheels are close together. However, with my breakdown crane, I found that it did increase the rolling resistance somewhat in corners, so your trains will slow down more than normal.

ROSCO

Re: Building the Christmas Train 2006: Set 10173 - brief report & pics
   In lugnet.trains, Jason J. Railton wrote:
   How well does the triple wheel set on the engine take corners and points?

Like Jordan I found that triple wheel sets work fine as long as the wheels are close together. However, with my breakdown crane, I found that it did increase the rolling resistance somewhat in corners, so your trains will slow down more than normal.

ROSCO

Not really... It’s a push along train, you just have to push it a bit harder !! :-) :-)

Klaas

<http://www.maj.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?i=779999
<http://www.maj.com/gallery/Greenman/ChristmasTrain10173/thumb/christmastrain_10173-11.jpg_thumb.jpg
Show me the bunny!>>¬ Doesn't Easter seem to come earlier every year?  :-)

Jason R.

:-)  :-)
I guess it's supposed to be an alternative for the well known toy-bear. A
     toy-Christmas-bunny.   :-)
About the triple wheels: I haven't tried that yet, I was fully occupied with
     building, inventoring, making postings in 3 languages etc.
Tonight I'll build a 9V motor on the engine, just to see how many parts you have
     to add/exchange.
I'll be back with some pics.

Klaas

Hi Klaas,

Will you take it to LegoWorld?

Hope to see you there, Jeroen

Re: Building the Christmas Train 2006: Set 10173 - brief report & pics
I'm unclear on whether the 10173 Christmas Train set will become available to
the general public later this fall via Shop at Home.  Does anyone have
authoritative information regarding this?

Thanks,
Jordan

Starting yesterday, Shop@Home is selling the train in European countries. Change
'country' (top-left) in the S@H site, and check it out.

On the details page they also mention a K101== nr., regarding a set with 9V (!)
track and motor! Usually these 'extra's' come first available in the USA.

Klaas

Re: Building the Christmas Train 2006: Set 10173 - brief report & pics