 Trains / 26585
Re: Loading cargo from and to train electrically
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics, lugnet.trains
Date:
Tue, 17 Jan 2006 11:14:12 GMT

In lugnet.robotics, Elroy Davis wrote:
I played a bit with stopping a train at a station.  I had a loop of track
powered off from a normal speed regulator.  One section of track next to the
stop was isolated elecrically by putting tape over the rails before connecting
them.  I powered this single section of track off from the RCX, which would
allow me to stop and start it.

As you mentioned, this leaves two motor outputs.  I was thinking of using one to
power a forklift-shaped pusher to load the train, and another to unload.  I
hadn't really though much about the cargo slipping off the waggon on other parts
of the layout though.  Using tiles, I can see how the cargo might slide off the
car if it takes a corner too quickly.  I might have to play with that a bit.

-Elroy

Funny how oceans apart we come up with the same ideas.  I stopped using light
sensors for the RCX and laterly use an isolated track to stop trains at two
stations. The third ouput being used for a level crossing.

I really like the loader idea, and the suggestion of mini-figures on a plate was
awesome.