 Trains / 26479
Re: Modding plastic track to conducting track
Newsgroups:
lugnet.parts.mod, lugnet.trains
Date:
Mon, 9 Jan 2006 19:01:50 GMT

In lugnet.parts.mod, Timothy Gould wrote:

I’m curious what you part modders think about modifying the new plastic train track to allow it to conduct electricity. My thought was that you could use metallic conducting tape on top of the plastic tracks and make yourself a good old-fashioned metal rail but I have no experience whatsoever in this area so thought I’d ask those who do.

So, essentially my question is this: Do you think the plastic tracks could be converted to 9V conducting tracks with conducting tape?

Any further comments or suggestions are, of course, welcome./

Thanks,

Tim

Already done, I did some experiments using some of the old 4.5v track. http://news.lugnet.com/trains/?n=25776 I ran metal foil tape on top of the platic rails. http://www.shopsmartxpress.com/AmeriGls/AmrDefault.htm?M6.htm The tape is tin plated copper for use in stain glass. The train motor ran fine. And with the new plastic track I expect the metal will make reasonable contact with 9v track if the foil is brought to the overlap on the ends. I wouldn’t use it for mainline operation, but it should be fine for sidings or yards.

Mat