 Trains / 25939
Re: How big were box cars in 1900?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Tue, 20 Sep 2005 04:16:09 GMT

In lugnet.trains, Christopher Masi wrote:
So, I have seen references to box cars being as short as 36 feet and as
long as 50 feet at the turn of the last century. However, I didn't see
these numbers in any authoratative context. So, anyone got a good source
for really old American rolling stock?

Thanks,
Chris

my best and favorite sorce for general info like what your seeking is museum
sites.  here's the one i use most often:

http://www.irm.org/roster/index.html

it appers that box cars durring the early 1900's were on average 9'6" wide and
todays are about 10'6". for length it looks like 45' was typical.

enjoy,
ondrew