 Trains / 25813
Re: Timber trestle crossing water
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Sat, 27 Aug 2005 11:24:22 GMT

In lugnet.trains, Richie Dulin wrote:
   Prototype question:

When a timber trestle bridge crosses water, is it usual to have the timber bents permanently submerged? Or is it usual to have stone or concrete piers supporting the trestle bents?

I’ve tried google, but can’t find a clear answer. There are some pics of the bents resting in water, but it’s not clear to me whether this is common, or even if it is just the result of abnormally high water.

Any advice (or links) would be appreciated.

Cheers

Richie Dulin

I had a look at the google images and was surprised to see any trestles getting wet. I think the trestles are directly buried in the ground on each side of the river, with rock in the ground being the support.

I guess the timber wouldn’t last long if it were submerged, though a few coats of bitumen might help. In that case it should be black with bitumen up to the river flood level.

An HO model railroad that I remember had a trestle bridge across a creek, but the normal water level was very low, so no trestles were in it.

I know modern steel versions have a concrete base, rather than submerge the steel. It doesn’t make engineering sense to submerge the wood, as long as concrete is availalble. Perhaps that makes it depend on the vintage of the bridge.

Mark