 Trains / 25776
25775  |  25777
Subject:
conductive Plastic track
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Mon, 22 Aug 2005 19:19:00 GMT

I was wondering if I could modify the new plastic track for use with the 9v train motors.

As an experiment, I ran some adhesive backed metal tape on some of my old style plastic track. The tape(foil) is for stained glass, and is copper with a tin plating, and is 1/4” wide. I made a streached circle with no turnouts. This was connected to a train controller through a cut 9v wire. I ran a couple of different engines, with 4 cars on each test. Bothe engines ran fine with thier load.

Assuming the new track has the same design on the joining fingers, I think individual sections could be taped, and work well mixed with 9v rails. And adding the foil tape would cost about $.05 per section! http://www.shopsmartxpress.com/AmeriGls/AmrDefault.htm?M6.htm This might be ideal for a yard or other low traffic sections. I’m not sure what the long term durability is, but I’ll try and test that as well.

The nice thing about this tape is that it can be soldered to if needed. So even plastic turnouts could be modified. Better for DCC, as bothe legs of the switch could be hard wired to the main. And if new geometies, or better turnouts are created, they could be used as well.

Mat