 Trains / 21586
Re: HELP! Train motors dead and dieing!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Fri, 14 Nov 2003 17:06:47 GMT

In lugnet.trains, Reinhard "Ben" Beneke wrote:
In lugnet.trains, Peter Ehrlich wrote:
Hmm. I've setup a bigger layout (one floorsworth) and still its a full 9v
on the farthest away point.

Hi Peter!

But that is only measured without electric load. Even if you have a really high
resitance in the joints of the track, you still will have the 9V at any given
point of the track as long as you have no parallel load on the track. A motor
might have much less than 9V at that far away point of the loop...

You can test this for yourself.  Measure the voltage of a 9v battery with your
voltmeter, then measure it again in series with a 10K resistor.  It's still 9V!
Now, think of all those track pieces (and joints) as tiny little resistors...
:-)

Mark