 Trains / 21230
Re: Train Station
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Tue, 7 Oct 2003 17:44:53 GMT

In lugnet.trains, Larry Pieniazek wrote:
In lugnet.trains, Paul S. D'Urbano wrote:
In lugnet.trains, Brian Bacher wrote:
I've been playing around with MLCad a bit, and have attempted to model the
Amtrak terminal in Mt. Pleasant, IA.

The images are a bit rough, but please let me know what you think. I've also
posted the MPD file.

(New to Brickshelf, hope I've got the URL right)

I liked this model a lot.

I did think that some of the suggestions made elsewhere (particularly Greg's
suggestion to extend the base a bit, and Jan's ideas about lighting, it seems a
bit dark to me) in the thread might help make the rendering more visually
attractive but it's a model I'd love to see on a layout, especially a show
layout where it can have a large scenic context.

Cool.  Looks a lot more like the train stations I see around where I live than
this one:
http://guide.lugnet.com/set/4513
(nothing against 4513, it does look like a fun set)

4513 should be an interesting set for parts, but it's too fantastical for my
taste. :-) Somebody needs to talk to LEGO about realism. :-) Oh wait, they're
targeting kids.

I like the color choice.  Cool that you added interior details.  My $0.02...
since you gave it four walls you might want to make the roof easily removable to
get figs in and out.

Or consider splitting, or even both.

Now you need to park a train in Amtrak livery in front of it.  Metroliner works
in a pinch.  As you may have already discovered, there are some really great
Amtrak MOCs on Brickshelf.

Slightly off topic, but for anyone reading this who's interested in Amtrak, here
are a few examples of great MOCs that come to mind: (There are so many that I'm
sure I'm leaving out some other greats, too.)

I think Amtrak is a great source of inspiration, if you like grey! (I sort of
like the pre Amtrak era better as there are so many color schemes to choose from
but that's just me... it's said that train people often like the era in effect
when they were kids, Amtrak formed while I was in HS.)

In addition to Paul's great inspirational cites, don't forget Robin Werner's
award winning Genesis, by the way.

If/when I do a revision, I may try to make a removable roof.

The interior was kind of fun, but it's not very true-to-life. I couldn't
remember enough details when I was working on the model. I'll have to stop by
again and poke around some more.

Speaking of Amtrak, right now I've been working on trying to model the
semi-trailer transporters I see at the end of every Amtrak train that comes
through town. Hopefully I'll get that finished satisfactorily soon...

Brian