 Trains / 19610
Re: Monorail fleet - to dispel a vicious rumour ...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Thu, 27 Mar 2003 19:06:24 GMT

In lugnet.trains, William Howard writes:
In lugnet.trains, Mike Petrucelli writes:
Wow! That is really cool. I particularly like the red one.
Thanks

How the heck did you hook up a third car?
with a "1x4 plate with ball joint" into a "2x2 plate with socket", you can
see the ball joint here
its not my idea though - search for "monorail six car" in this group and you
will find one twice as long!

There are ldr files in that directory as well

William

I had intended to reply to this thread a while back when it first came up
but got busy and forgot to do so.  ;-)

I have built a number of multi-car monorail trains over the past few years
and learned a number of things along the way.  I first tried to add a third
car to my Airport Shuttle back in February of 2000.

Although the links referenced in the original thread are broken, there was
some interesting dialog about my attempt:

http://news.lugnet.com/trains/?n=4078&t=f&v=a

I still have some pictures of my original three car Airport Shuttle on
BrickShelf:  http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?f=38097

This solution used these parts to connect the third chassis:
http://guide.lugnet.com/partsref/search.cgi?q=3640
http://guide.lugnet.com/partsref/search.cgi?q=3639

I had been running the train on a loop with no elevation changes and it
worked just fine.  I think it was Frank Filz who asked what happened when it
went up or down a hill.  Well, it didn't work very well.  With very little
up and down motion in that hinge, the end car of the monorail train would
lift up off the track.

In that thread Mike Poindexter mentioned he used a ball and socket method:
http://news.lugnet.com/trains/?n=4163

At the time this didn't mean anything to me and looking back on it, I am
still not sure about his reference to losing a stud means.  In the end, I
think I independently came upon a solution similar to Mike Poindexter's.

In July of 2000 I posted my four car Airport Shuttle:
http://news.lugnet.com/trains/?n=6342

Here are the pictures of it on BrickShelf:

This solution was based on these two parts:
http://guide.lugnet.com/partsref/search.cgi?q=3731
http://guide.lugnet.com/partsref/search.cgi?q=3730

With full rand of motion, going up and down hills was not a problem.  This
four car version ran at the first GATS show we did in Raleigh without a problem.

About a year ago I was able to get a couple more monorail chassis plates and
decided to make my four car Airport Shuttle a six car Airport Shuttle:

http://news.lugnet.com/trains/?n=15954

This is the version of the monorail I have been running since then.  It uses
the exact same ball and socket method, simply extended to include two more
cars.  It works well on the NCLTC layout, including navigating Cary Clark's
spirals (which are now another loop higher than the one seen in this
picture):  http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?i=149780

I have not had any problem with the motor.  It just keeps on chugging along.

Cary Clark has also built a multi-car monorail.  His is slightly different
than mine, with the motor being between the first and second car.  His
drives much better in one direction than the other.

Here is a picture of Cary's monorail:

All for now ...

Mike - mike_walsh at mindspring dot com