 Trains / 18850
Re: Round parts on the side of ... (was Re: LEGO SW Haildire Droid will cost....
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Mon, 6 Jan 2003 02:34:58 GMT

Here is what I've calculated on this new component "gear wheel"
(my calculations could be MILES off of correct, mind you):

-Teeth count is approximately 96 on the outside.
-Outside diameter is 24 studs
-Inside diameter is 20 studs
-The strip running on the inside circumference apperas to have either the
same characteristics of the gray 12v track with ridges or something similar
to the old monorail track.

Based on the rather crude calculations, it appears to me that the outside
teeth wouldn't mesh with current gears (either technic or new ones).  This
could be an oversight on my part.  If the mechanism Lego (R) has built is
motorized, then I suspect they are using the inside "teeth" for turning the
gear wheel.  That would mean that one of my above observations is probably
incorrect (12v track), as the ridges on the track are only for
friction...Wait a minute!  That still could be true...  This thing could use
rubber wheels on that inside ridge.

-Rob

"Nicole Drumm" <kdrumm1@stny.rr.com> wrote in message
"Stefan Garcia" <sastrei@netscape.net> wrote in message
I think it has teeth like those found on the bionicle double-bevel • gears.
Might mesh, though I don't see any obvious connection points for • anything
else like technic pins or rods.

<snip>

I think you are right Stefan. As for inside, yes it looks like there might • be
gear teeth in there.

--
Thanx~
Nicole Drumm MS