 Trains / 18548
Re: opening / repairing 12v grey transformer 7864
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Thu, 28 Nov 2002 05:44:18 GMT

Hi Esgar,

Getting close to 10 years ago the 12V transformer I had was starting to lose
its power a bit, so I ended up buying a new transformer.  A few years after
that, I was given the opportunity to open the original transformer in an
attempt to see what was wrong with it.

Firstly it should be noted that this procedure requires a little bit of
drilling, if the drill bit is small enough, and you take care, the outer
casing of the transformer won't be damaged.

Look carefully at the front and back of the transformer.

You will see 3 little round plugs, in the same colour as the transformer casing:

       +-------------------------+
       |                         |
       |                         |
       |                         |
+------+                         |
|   o            o           o   |
+--------------------------------+

roughly where the 'o's are in the diagram above.  These plugs are what is
holding the top and bottom of the transformer in place.  Once all of these
plugs are removed (if you can think of a method other than drilling, let
everyone know), the top and the bottom will be seperable.

Unfortunately, drilling damages the plugs, so an alternative form of plug
would be required.  Other that that, happy repairing.

Build well!!
John Porter

In lugnet.trains, Esger Abbink writes:
Hi,

I've got a couple of transformers that apparently dont work anymore but may
very well be easily repairable. However I cant seem to find a way to open
them up without damaging the housing beyond repair.

Does anyone have a clue how to get to the internals?

thanks,

Esger