 Trains / 18303
Re: I want to expand my track layout
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Fri, 8 Nov 2002 23:52:20 GMT

In lugnet.trains, Jonathan Wilson writes:
Currently I have all the track from my 4561 plus 1 pack straight track.
What track should I buy next to get the most "bank for my buck" when it
comes to expanding my layout and making it bigger (given that its something
I only setup when I am playing with it)

It's ultimately up to how much space you have, what your budget it, and what
you want to do.  I recommend playing with Track Designer to get a few
interesting layouts you'd like to build that fit in your space and then
trying to find a combination of track packs and/or shop@home kits that match
all of those layouts fairly well.  That's what I did.  I've never looked
into buying track through Bricklink so I don't know if there's money to be
saved there, but it may be worth investigating.  Also keep in mind other
train-sets you may want to buy in the future may come with track (e.g.
Metroliner).

If my math is right you have 16 curved and 10 straight.  I started with the
MOT kit, which left me in a similar place: 16 curved, 8 straight.  The way I
decided to go was to get the K4519 cross-track kit plus one 4531 set of
points -- a $104 total investment.  This brought my total to 2 left-points,
2 right-points, 24 straight, 1 cross, 36 curved.  In your case you'd have 26
straight instead.  This gives a good amount of flexibility, so for me this
was the right amount of track for the right amount of money.  The
cross-track kit essentially gives you one pack of curved for free.  My
limitation was that I had to fit whatever layout I built on my kitchen
table, so I, like you, take it apart when I'm done running my trains (or
when my wife complains, whatever comes first :-).  Since I knew I had
limited space, there was no reason to look into the bigger S@H track kits.

In a recent thread I pointed to pictures of some of my kitchen table ideas
on brickshelf.  These are all possible with the track pieces I just mentioned:
    http://news.lugnet.com/trains/?n=18285

Regards,
Paul