 Trains / 15415
Re: My Sante Fe 10020
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Wed, 27 Feb 2002 03:21:51 GMT

In lugnet
I've seen the term "push-pull" (in at least one coffee-table type railfan
book) used to refer to one locomotive at each end of a consist.  Is that
incorrect usage of the term, or does it have two completely different
meanings?

I am not sure but I would tend to lean toward both correct, different • meanings.

Yes, push pull generally, as far as I tell, means that the loco(s) are at one
end, and there is a control cab at the other end.

Some lines used depowered locomotives as their control vehicles. The book
author may have seen that and thought it was a locomotive at each end. I
dunno. But I do know this, unless you have a way to precisely control both
locos, having actual power at both ends is tricky.

GO used to do this with F units :).  (But, they mostly use the coaches, since
the high levels have cabs, and the old single levels did too-I think they were
a bigger cab, since it used to be that they ran high levels, and one old single
level as the last coach in the train...)

I am not sure how commuter lines do it. They may use electrical signals or
they may run the MU lines all the way down the train.

MU cables for the most part.  I know that is how the UK stuff does it.
Speaking of the UK, the IC-125's have 2 diesels separated by the train, in a
distributed power configuration.  They still hold the speed record for the
fastest self contained power train :).  There are special DVT (Driving Van
Trailers) for use with most of the more modern stock (in particular, the
electrics).  -incidentally, the same loco was involved with the last 2 major
crashes (the broken rail, and the landrover on track incidents), with the loco
pushing-it survived both crashes.

James P