 Trains / 15235
Re: Metroliner question
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Fri, 22 Feb 2002 11:41:52 GMT

AC power is more efficient and can travel longer
distances, therefore requiring less voltage. (or something like that.)

High School Physics:
To get the same efficiency from DC, we'd literally need a power station in
every district of a city/town.

Despite that, AC power distribution is High Voltage/Low Current (was DC the
same?) as this ensures low power losses (can’t remember the relationship).
Supply AC voltage is lowered (and current raised) at what we call
"sub-stations" in the UK (big transformers?). Key to this is that power (exc
losses) is the same for both supply & distribution: Power = Volts * Amps. In
the UK, most supply points (exc hobs, showers etc ) are 13A / 240v. That
gives us 3.1kw. I assume supplies with 110v have higher current?

What I keep meaning to understand is 3-phase AC... but not today!

Scott A